Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First official dog show!

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted
    Last edited by Pinky; 2nd August 2010 at 02:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile First Champ Show !

First of all, I wish you a wonderful day, but am also hoping that you have trained your dog for the occasion and that he will 'stand' and not 'sit' !

Obviously you will have him brushed, clean and well presented with spotless teeth etc.

If it really is your first show, it might be daunting but initially tag on the end and see what others do.

Remember a safety pin or proper clip for your number !

Perhaps you have already been to shows and watched and learned the skills ?

There is a lot lot more but others will certainly add to my initial reply.

Regards Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Deleted
    Last edited by Pinky; 2nd August 2010 at 02:08 AM.
    Pinky

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at http://forum.showdogsireland.com/
    There's a good few newbies on there who might be helpful and encouraging.Might be worth signing up?
    * I forgot to say good luck with the show.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Championship Shows......

Dear Pinky,

If you wanted to drive a car - would you enter a F1 Grand Prix without passing a test ?

This is basically what you are doing with your dear Dog who may well find the whole experience off putting and stress him out.

Ideally one should start with smaller less important shows and build up your skills and that of the dog, who is after all - the one being Judged.

You as the handler make it happen and your experience or lack of same will be transmitted down the lead and have an impact on the dog.

If you have not got any experience, my humble opinion would be that you dont walk into the 'Dragon's Den' but take a step back and do ring craft sessions first with Open Shows as your forum to learn.

Jump in with both feet if you want but you may regret it !

Good luck, you may need it. I am trying to help not offend you. Honest.

Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

good luck!
    If he seems nervous and not eager to get out and go in the ring, you can always scratch him, go back and take some classes in handling or attend some "fun" matches where they complete like a show, but it is all for fun, no points.
    Some dogs love it, some don't. I have both kinds, a ham that loves it and another one who would rather sit in the crate and not be there, so I have allowed that one to have the life of a princeess at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck. I agree with Mark though, a Championship show is a bit daunting for a first show for both of you. It is where all the top notch dogs will be. Everyone knows exactly what they are doing, where they should be and how their dogs should behave etc. It isn't really a training ground for a novice, though I'm sure people will try and help. It's just that at this level people are very focussed on their dogs and showing them to their best, and may not have much time to help a novice as they would at a small show.

Have you studied the breed standard, and do you have an indication of how your dog stands up to that standard on show points etc? Not every dog is 'Show Quality' Again going to small shows first will give you an indication of whether your dog is good enough to show at larger shows.

See how you go, you never know - you both could take to it like ducks to water.
    Last edited by Yorkysue; 25th September 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Going to your first show can be a strange and bewildering experience for both owner and dog.

A dog that stands still and walks steadily in familiar surroundings can be entirely thrown by the sounds, smells, and the presence of other strange dogs. They may become very silly and excited, pulling at the lead, or very scared, refusing to move and cowering away from the judge.
    A dog needs to be confident and happy to catch the judge's eye.

I would suggest that if you cannot get to a ring craft training class before October 3rd, you may do well to treat the day as a training exercise, and be prepared to just spend your time watching what happens in the ring and making it a good experience for Phoenix (take plenty of his favourite little treats) so he will be happy when you go again.

If you do show, you will need to wear your ring number when you go into your class. You will probably get that from the ring steward or it may be given to you when you go in.

When your class is called you need to line up round the ring with the other exhibitors.
    IMPORTANT TIP........DO NOT STAND AT THE FRONT OF THE LINE, SO YOU END UP THE LEADER. YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO WATCH WHAT THE OTHERS DO.
    Get your dog to stand still, wag his tail, and give all his attention to you while the judge stands in the middle of the ring and looks at all the dogs.

You will then probably all walk in a circle, for the judge to see how well the dogs walk, & whether they have a good top line and tail set, and then the judge will 'go over' the dogs, one at a time, when they take turns to stand on a small table. This can often be difficult and scary for new show dogs if they have not trained to do this and many dogs will struggle, refuse to stand, or try & jump off the table.

You will then take your dog down from the table & walk in a triangle, & then straight up and down, so the judge can see how well he moves and how good he looks from all angles.

When all the dogs have been seen individually, you may all be asked to walk another circle.
    You then stand with your dog again paying attention to you ( this is where practising every day, with little rewards when he does the right thing is worthwhile ) and then the judge will probably 'pull out' and then place the dogs they have chosen as the best in the class.

It may be a good idea to tell the ring steward it is your first show, they may keep a special eye on you.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with this & never will but I wanted to wish you & Phoenix Good Luck! Post a picture of Phoenix at the show when you get back.
    Teri, Remus, Loki, Leopold
    3 cats - Rumor, Serenity, & Thor