• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

LILY DO i SPAY TOMORROW OR WAIT

Brian M

Hi

Just want to know thoughts pls and advice,Pops and Daisy still have Kennel Cough and are on medication as mentioned on a previous thread but Lily and Rosie as of now have now sign of any infection .I have decided that Lily will be spayed she is now just over 1 and in between her 1 st and 2nd season so the only worry is this K C ,I am of the opinion lets do it and get it over with provided she doesnt show any sign of infection over the next 24 hours .Thoughts Pls.:confused:

I would postpone personally in case Lilly catches the KC after the operation. Best person to ask is the vet.

I personally feel the same as Pauline, I would postpone it for a while longer, best to speak to the vet really for advice

I would postpone for two weeks, but let the vet know at the earliest opportunity as he can schedule another dog in for surgery.
A spay is elective surgery and can be done in a fortnight.If you have to give increased care to the other cavaliers because of their cough you really don't need a surgical patient to mind at the moment.
Sins

I would be inclined to postpone, but I see from another post your vet thinks it's ok to go ahead...If it was me I think I would wait a week or two at least:)

It is hard having to make decisions like this so good luck and let us know what you decide.

not being quite sure why you want her spayed in the first place, i don't see the reason not to postpone the op. for a while.

maybe it is better to be quite sure that she is not infected.

i hope she will not catch kennel cough and that the other girls get well real soon.:)

I agree that you should postpone. She'll have to fend off infection anyway after the op, so if there's anything hanging around already then it might be a lot. Suppose you should discuss with the vet.

I agree with all of the above. I would postpone it for a couple of weeks. Even just for yourself, to not have the stress of worrying about another recovering dog :)

Hi

Decision made ,just phoned Mr Marsden who will be operating he is also the vet that spayed my other three girls ,and he advised that if she is totally clear of any cough to go ahead and operate as the threat is only with the anesthetic to put her under .So as Lily is clear as of now but of course if she or Rosie develops a cough up until I drop her off at 8.00 AM tomorrow when I would cancel, then she will be spayed as Mr Marsden is operating not the other vet who I fell out with and to be frank I will be more than glad to get it over with for her sake as well as mine .Apart from being spayed she will also have a micochip put in and a very small hernia popped back into place ,I shall mention pain control medication but abide by his decision ,we have a couple of baby grows and she will sleep upstairs with me for at least 7 days .
I can then advise her breeder after the op who at the time of purchase refused to give me her Kennel Club papers until I could supply proof Lily had been spayed ,as she said that on a previous occasion she had let a pup go to a nice family couple who promptly then decided to commence breeding with her ,but as I have no inclination at all to breed and was more than happy just to get Lily and go home so I decided not to argue in any way at that time.
So wish her well tomorrow please and I shall not sleep tonight worrying that I made the correct decision ,but we go ahead.:(

Good luck Brian and if your vet is happy to proceed then we'll wish Lily a speedy recovery.I know it's never an easy decision and always a worry.
At least you'll have the microchip which is a great invention and you get her papers forwarded.
Sins

Hope all goes well tomorrow Brian. Let us know how Lily is doing when you get the chance.

Hi Bri, GOOD LUCK for tomorrow. I hope little Lily sails thro' it & im sure she will but try not to worry (lol what a stupid thing to say,i know you'll be a frantic dad) We will be thinking of you both & waiting for your update,even if its only a quick one liner plse dont forget.
Hope the day goes really quickly for you till you get her home for cuddles & super spoiling-give her an extra (gentle) hug & kiss from us:hug:

Many healing thoughts to Lily! I know that you thought this through and I am sure all will go well with Lily's surgery and recovery:)

Heather R

Cant understand why you have rushed this op.....?

Brian, this decision 'process' of yours is somewhat - all over the place.

You have a bitch who is amongst other dogs with KC, yet you still feel the need to have her undergo an operation. This means that she will be taken to an environment where other dogs are and might contaminate them !

I am quite shocked that your vet has even agreed to do the operation !

You asked for the thoughts of others and then ignored good advice - why ?

Sorry but the operation should not be going ahead until it is 100% certain that KC is no longer a threat to your dogs or others that they come into contact with.

Did you know that KC can be passed on via contact with contaminated clothing ?

My fingers are crossed that all goes well for your bitch Lily.

Mark.

PS. Have you given it thought that Lily might bring home some other 'problem' picked up at the Vets and pass it on to your other dogs that are already weak from KC and on medication ?

Last edited:
Mark

My decision process is not all over the place as you say ,and I am a bit taken a back by your attitude ,rather than a post of support you post an aggressive reply unlike other members who wish Lily well
I sought advice and guidance from the many good and educated people here on Ct ,I sought guidance from Lilys breeder ,I sought guidance from my main Vet practice Birch Vets and the main Vet and proprietor there who treated Poppy and Daisy for their Kennel Cough ,I then also approached the other Vet practice they are all registered with these being Cranmore Vets and I asked them for their comments for the same questions I put to Birch Vets, this second practice is also part of the group who own Chestergates where I believe you also attend on a regular basis for scanning and advice .So two lots of Vet practices and her breeder said that provided Lily had no sign of any infection then there is no reason to cancel and to go ahead ,so taking all the kind comments from C T members whose comments and knowledge I value highly and also the advice from the two different vet practices into account I then decided early afternoon yesterday to proceed and get it over and done for Lilys sake and my worry ,I dearly love my pets as a pure Pet Owner and do not look at them as a money machines on four legs as I believe some breeders do, so my decision was careful ,thoughtful and done with a great amount of due responsibilty and love for my girls and after a lot of advice from different quarters .As of now neither Rosie nor Lily have or have had any sign of K C and Pops and Daisy are now showing some sign of improvement. I am also neither a medical doctor or vet nor an owner of kennels and neither am I a breeder of Cavaliers I am only just a pet owner who relies on forums like Ct and my vets to guide me, and with regard to your comment about Lily picking things up and taking them back home surely that also applies to myself but I am afraid I have to go out to work to pay for my girls and their comforts. So I do feel that after my decision was made and posted on CT a comment more of support and not one of criticism might have been more appropriate.

Hi

Conclusion.
I shall refer to my Cavaliers as my girls or by name I know they are bitches but without appearing to be pedantic they have a heart a soul and an individual character so they to me they are either my girls or are individuals named Poppy ,Daisy ,Rosie and Lily .
I took Lily in at 8.00 AM and with it being too early for Mr Marsden to have arrived I had discussion with the vet nurse ,I asked her to confirm it was Mr Marsden operating and that they would fix her little hernia and insert the microchip and also to ensure with Mr Marsden (who is part owner with Mr Shepherd ) that he knew all the circumstances regarding Pops and Daisy and their Kennel Cough situation and that he was happy to proceed with the operation, then I left poor Lily to go to work.:(

At 9.00 am Dawn phoned me and said Mr Marsden had been on the phone to her and he was happy Little Lily was in full health but after due consideration of the operating procedure and the tube going down her throat he would be happier to operate when the curse of K.C. had fully passed over , so his decision was different to the other Vets but as he was the Vet operating his opinion was the one most important and the one I shall of course follow. So off I shot picked her up took her home and gave her a hearty breakfast .
So may I extend my thanks to all for the concern shown to us and all your most wellcome messages of support ,but we shall continue at a date to be arranged.:(:confused::|:thnx::sl*p::)

Brian,
To me it sounded like Mark was afraid for your girl. I don't know Mark and he doesn't know me-- but what I read was fear for your girl.
Of course if she isn't coughing now, she should get through the surgery fine. I would be worried about POST surgery. Surgery could lower her resistance to the virus etc...
I won't even go into the 'pure pet owner' and 'money machines on four legs'.
I will be thinking positive thoughts for you and your girls.

Oh Brian, I'm sorry you had such an ordeal. You did all the research you could, made an informed decision, and then had that decision taken away. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable that Mr. Marsden has the best interest of Lily at heart and is really looking out for her welfare. Although you'll have to go through the anxiety of scheduling this again when everyone is healthy, it really is not that bad of a surgery. Neither of my girls needed pain meds when they came home and they didn't bother their incisions. Riley was like Lily - in between her first and second heat. Good luck fr next time, and I 'm sure Lily is no worse for having spent a few hours at the vet. People probably fawned all over her!

Back