• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

training to use grass for toilet?!

Feebee

My pup Max uses concrete to do poo's and some times wee's, we have plenty of grass for him, but unless i take him to the grass he wont use it, even if im standing right there sometimes he will run off grass and go on concrete (more so if grass is wet, but on nice sunny days he will still go on concrete) i have always stood on the grass with him

i have been giving him treats every time he goes on the grass, if i catch him in the act, i pick him up (carefully esp for wee's!) put him on the grass, and give him the command to go toilet (get busy), sometimes he will go again on the grass and if he does i treat him again

buutttt to stop him using the back courtyard for poo's i have put up temp fencing (Poo's are the hardest to encourage him to do on grass!)but he has figured out how to jump down on the courtyard (two level backyard) and he gets suck but now that we have the dog door he can come and go as he pleases! (only just started today using it on his own!), he was very lucky tonight that i got sick of his wineing i went down to close him in crate i thought he was wineing cause i left him downstairs, out of the crate (was going to start letting him have the freedom of using dog door overnight, he is blocked off area in kitchen so i don't care if accidents inside, normally i crate him) but he wasnt inside! so i looked outside and the silly pup is in the court yard again! so i got him out, but now he is locked in his crate, so apart from putting up more fenceing, which i think i have enough chicken wire to do it, what else can i do to encourage him to use the grass to go toilet on?

the other thing is that we have a path from our front door to fence, so he uses that also and there is no way i can fence that off!! unless i give him is own 'run' from dog door onto grass but i rather him have a big area to run and play in outside...

ohhh and when we are at my work (where he comes with me 3 times a week) he always uses the grass (have had a few accidents in other areas), they have a paved area and shelled courtyard, but he never uses (which is great) but i have done the same training in both places? :?

I would think that the only way to convince him to use the grass is to take him out to the grass when it's "potty" time - probably on a leash until he gets it - of course this means he won't be able to come and go at will.

When we got Mindy at 8 months old she had been trained to do her business in a concrete dog run. Convincing her to even walk on the grass (particularly if it was wet) much less do her business there took some time (a lot of time actually) but eventually she got it.

ok thinking i might when i have to leave him at home, try and set up a bit more of a temp fence so he cannot go on the concrete, when im home ill take it down and will use the leash
any other suggestions?

Well, I'd make a couple of suggestions here. First off, there is really nothing you can do if you are gone during the day to encourage a dog to go in an area that you want -- you need to be there to do the training. For when you are at home, I'd follow the suggestion of using a lead every time and also leave a bit of feces there as a dog generally will prefer to someplace it has gone before and can scent its old 'jobs'.

But the more important issue is: really a cavalier should never be left alone outside during the day as this is both risky (this is one of the most stolen breeds!) and also is hard on the cavalier and generally creates a lonely, bored dog that develops behaviour problems. Most breeders are very firm on getting the breed indoor homes (as are most rescues). A lot of the dogs I get into rescue because they have 'problems', are destructive etc inevitably are dogs that have been left home all day in the garden with nothing to do but start to bark, chew, dig, and otherwise create difficulties for owners and neighbours as they attempt to find some way of keeping themselves entertained. They are not an outdoor breed, and don't have double coats that can keep them warm left outside in winter.

I'd arrange a safe indoor place like a gated off kitchen or room with a floor where accidents are OK and try to get home at lunchtime or get someone in who can mind your dog. Doggie day care is also a good solution or having a neighbour teen come by to walk the dog midday or after school. Housetraining however takes a very long time if no one is there to do any training 5 days a week -- just be aware you will need to be very patient and accept this is a longer-term project for your pup. (y)

Well, I'd make a couple of suggestions here. First off, there is really nothing you can do if you are gone during the day to encourage a dog to go in an area that you want -- you need to be there to do the training. For when you are at home, I'd follow the suggestion of using a lead every time and also leave a bit of feces there as a dog generally will prefer to someplace it has gone before and can scent its old 'jobs'.

great will try leaving bits of feces, problem was that he started eating it, but i suppose if i leave only a little and only allow him on the lead that should work

But the more important issue is: really a cavalier should never be left alone outside during the day as this is both risky (this is one of the most stolen breeds!) and also is hard on the cavalier and generally creates a lonely, bored dog that develops behaviour problems. Most breeders are very firm on getting the breed indoor homes (as are most rescues). A lot of the dogs I get into rescue because they have 'problems', are destructive etc inevitably are dogs that have been left home all day in the garden with nothing to do but start to bark, chew, dig, and otherwise create difficulties for owners and neighbours as they attempt to find some way of keeping themselves entertained. They are not an outdoor breed, and don't have double coats that can keep them warm left outside in winter.

I'd arrange a safe indoor place like a gated off kitchen or room with a floor where accidents are OK and try to get home at lunchtime or get someone in who can mind your dog. Doggie day care is also a good solution or having a neighbour teen come by to walk the dog midday or after school. Housetraining however takes a very long time if no one is there to do any training 5 days a week -- just be aware you will need to be very patient and accept this is a longer-term project for your pup. (y)

he is not left alone outside, he has a dog door... so he can come and go, and yes i dont mind accidents inside (and he has a closed off area in the kitchen where the dog door leads to) so that is also fine if he wont go out (however he does know how to use dog door) the longest he is left alone is 4 hours to times a week (sometimes only 1 time a week) so please dont jump the gun and assume im leaving him on his own everyday all day outside!!

the major reason for getting dog door was so that in mornings he could let himself out if needed before we get up, when winter comes (right now summer) he can come and go as he pleases during the day (usually if im at home ill leave front/ back door open as i like fresh air) and for those 2 days a week when i leave him i rather he has the freedom of kitchen and outside if he chooses to play there than just the kitchen (like i said dont mind accidents inside, but rather give him the choice to use outside)

its replies like these that annoy me, please ask more questions before assuming things...

Back