• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Drooling

Karen and Ruby

My Ruby seems to be drooling a lot of late. Her chest ruffles seem to be covered in dried up dribble all the time.
Its not anything sudden its been going on for a week or so- ever since we changed her on to frusomide which we have gradually done over 2 weeks- does any1 think its the drugs that is causing her to dribble alot??
Im sure ive read posts like this before about excess saliva and gulping being attributed to SM/Meds?
Will this just be something we will need to get used to or is there anything we can do?

Thanks

Karen, Ruby and Charlie

Don't know about drooling; I've never heard of that happening myself. If it is dried in her chest hair, it sounds like a lot of drooling. It might be the frusemide -- I'd check with your vet to see if it is recognised as a side affect. It could also be an anxiety response, maybe related to having a new dog around? But I'd ask about side affects first. I'd definitely check with a vet as that sounds pretty excessive, whatever the cause.

Have you checked her gums & teeth?

My Matthew has SM. He has been on frusemide for years & has never had a drooling problem until recently.
He now has a tooth that is very loose, my vet believes it will drop out soon and would prefer not to operate on an eleven year old with a very dodgy heart.

I hope the tooth soon drops out. He is a very damp smelly old boy at the moment.

Ive checked her mouth and that seems fine- no redness of the gums and she is eating very very well!! poor charlie- have to feed them seperate or he wont get a look in!!
It seems to have only gone on for a couple of days as she has been fine today- maybe she wasnt feeling too well. Bless her!
Ill check with the vet when we are in this week anyway!

Hi, my Chaos has SM and she has always drooled a lot but I don't think it is connected. She is really bad when I visit a friend who has a lot of dogs and I think it is connected to the new smells or excitement. When we go there I have to keep wiping her mouth. Her teeth are fine. She also gets gulping fits sometimes when she gets excited but her Cavvie friend also does this from time to time and she has not got SM. Someone told me that Cavs have a small gullet but don't know if this is true.
Judy

Back