• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Innova vs. Wellness

tloghman

Hello! Happy news--I finally found a breeder who met my and dad's qualities. Parents are heart, hip, patella, eyes, and SM-clear!!! :jump: I am SO HAPPY to announce that I am expecting a little tri-girl in 6-7 weeks. Her name will be Bella.

To celebrate, I bought myself Barbara Ganett-Wilson's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, in Fact and Fancy, and I am re-reading ALL of my 15 cavalier/doggie books. LOL. I am a nerd--got to research everything!! For example, I can't seem to make up my mind on the clicker training . . . my grandma doesn't seem to get it (and it is hard to explain in Spanish) and I don't know if it will make training harder if I, my mother, and sister use the clicker but my grandma won't . . .

Oops, sorry for the ramble. I am just SO excited. My main reason for this thread is that I am debating whether to feed Bella Innova or Wellness? Which is healthier for her? I heard that Wellness can make some doggies sick but other people swear by it . . . I am leaning toward Innova . . .

Just trying to help my puppy get off on the right start! :D

I tried the Innova "Evo" line Ancestral Diet and the Wellness "Core" and our dog did a little better on the Wellness Core. Both are grain-free. Orijen is also a good brand of dry dog food that is grain-free, and our Cavalier has done well on it, too. It has fewer carbohydrates, so I prefer it.

Congratulations! I've fed both Innova (Evo) and Wellness Small Breed Super 5 Mix. I prefer Wellness (has a bit lower protein percentage), but both are good quality food. You'll want to start off with what your breeder is feeding, then slowly introduce a new food.

Congratulations on the pup! It IS very exciting.

I can't advise on Wellness but my dog has eaten Innova Evo for years after my vet recommended a grain free food to reduce her mild allergy to grains (I think it was wheat, in particular). She used to scratch endlessly on the food she was on. The scratching has definately improved and I've left her on it because she appears to be in great health, plenty of energy and has great teeth.

Good luck with whatever you decide.:p

Many congratulations on your soon to be addition:pi*no:

All The dog foods mentioned are very good. We have fed our two dogs Innova Evo and have been pleased with it. As mentioned feed the pup the food given by breeder and slowly introduce whichever food you decide upon. One thing, our breeder was giving pup some wellness canned food at one meal. After several weeks of loose poo, we cut that out of diet.

Looking forward to photos!

Heather R

I don't know anything about the dog food, but congratulations and well done to you ( and your Dad ) on doing your homework and finding such a responsible breeder.

I'm sure we will all be looking forward to seeing thr first pictures of Bella :snap:

Thanks, everyone for the congratulations and advice! I will certainly post pictures--LOTS of them!!!!!

cavtiny

I am counting down the days!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump:

Congrats to you!!

We had problems with Wellness, extremely loose stools in both my pups, Max our Cavalier and Carly our Sheltie mix. Our vet was adament about putting Max on a Prescription Science Diet food, but instead I switched to Natural Balance Duck and Potatoe, and the problem was solved immediately. One of our cats has loose stools as well on Wellness and I switched them to Chicken Soup for the Catlover's Soul, and they are both doing well too.

Have fun with Bella.

puppy food

I switched to Wellness about 6 months ago and love it! It has helped Charlie's tear stains immensely, due to the no grain. No problems on it with any loose stools, etc.

My main reason for this thread is that I am debating whether to feed Bella Innova or Wellness? Which is healthier for her? I heard that Wellness can make some doggies sick but other people swear by it . . . I am leaning toward Innova . . .

Just trying to help my puppy get off on the right start! :D

You would need to keep your new puppy on the food that the breeder reared her on for a few weeks before introducing a new food and this would have to be done over a number of days. Giving her a new food straight off could really upset her tummy.

Nanette

First of all, CONGRATS!!!! It will take some trial and error to find the "perfect" food for Bella.

I fed Ollie Orijen Puppy formula from 12 weeks on and I regret it. There is SOME indication that feeding a pup a food too high in protein will make them grow too quickly. Now, it may be all genetics but he is long and leggy now at 2 YO and had some gastro problems during the first year. I now have him on Fromm Surf & Turf, a lower protein food, and my others are still on Orijen. He does much better with a lower protein food.

I would suggest the regular Wellness or Innova lines----not EVO or CORE---for a puppy. Once she's full grown, or at least a year old, I would switch to a grain free high protein food. Just my opinion! I've tried Wellness (most varieties) and Innova. My dogs would not touch EVO. Either of those brands are good---you'd be safe with either one.

Bottom line; EVERYONE will have a different opinion! :rolleyes:

.... it may be all genetics but he is long and leggy now at 2 YO ....

Has he been neutered? At 10 mos. of age right now, our Sophie is leggy and fed raw, Wellness CORE and Orijen. But, I have read on the internet dog groups that spaying as a puppy can make them leggy. She was spayed at 6 mos.

Back