• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When to Spay

Shona

Hi Guys,

Havent been on in a while, so busy lately!
Daisys just turned 5 months now, getting soooo big! ill upload pics soon:)

just a quick question, whens the right time to get her spayed? ive had so many people tell me different things so i was just wondering whens the right time ha!

thanks in advance :)

HI

The norm is generally the middway point between the end of her first season and the start of her next ,so say her first season has finished when she is six months then I would target her to be spayed when she is 9 months.:)

I am a beleiver in giving dogs time to mature before spaying/neutering at all.
I let my girl have 2 seasons which took her to the age of around 14/15 months. She was settled in herself at this point and had discovered her personality and self. She is a wonderful dog for it.
Im slightly more reserved about my new boy- I will get him done at a point but he needs more time to mature and grow so probably give him untill around 2 yrs.

Karen

I agree with Karen on this. I like my dogs to be full grown before taking the organs that help make the hormones that affect maturity.
I have two littermates that looked like twins at birth. The male was neutered at 6 months-- the youngest I allow my pups to be neutered. He is much different than his sister today(not in a good way). He is taller, finer boned and more feminine(delicate) looking than his sister. She has wonderful proportion, good bone and muscle- better shaped head etc... He looks like he was stunted.

Karen & Sandy,
i read somewhere about not having them spayed until the growth plates had closed:confused: i know this will have been discussed on here before but could you explain when this would be?

Hi freclesmum

I fully agree with you as we all want the best option for our cavaliers and as you say Learning New Things Everyday.:)

Back