• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

advice please

davey21

hi all i`am new to the site and was wondering if any of you cavalier lovers have come across this problem we have with our 3 year old blenheim named fudge. when he gets excited he sometimes starts to make this noise like he is reaching to be sick as if something is stuck in his throat, also his whole body goes into a sort of spasm.this can last for around 5 minutes and is very stressful for fudge as he is very moody for a couple of days after.Is this common in cavaliers? any advice grateful thanks

Hi, my little girl Chaos does this too, usually when we are getting ready to go out for a walk and she is excited. It usually lasts a minute or two and I find it best just to leave her alone till she gets over it. It is more like gulping than being sick. I have not noticed her being any different after its over though. My friend's Cavalier does exactly the same thing and she thinks they have small gullets and that is the reason this happens. I would not worry too much about it maybe it is just a cavalier thing.
Judy:)

thanx judy was getting a little concerned,that it might of been the heart valve,he`s better today although walking a little gingerly hes eating well thanx again :)

Cavalier SNORTING ........ I assume.. ?

I think it is 'snorting' that you are referring too but the 5 minutes would be very extreme.

The best thing to do is one hand at the back of the head and the other over the nose holding the jaws shut while tilting the head downwards.

This, if you count to 5-7 will normally stop the snorting.

It is a characteristic of the breed (so im told) that should not be worried about !

However best check this out with a Vet - just incase there is another issue ongoing ?

Regards Mark.

Last edited:
Yes 5 minutes is excessive. It can also be called reverse sneezing.
Ruby has this problem when she gets excited too but usually ill cup my hand over her muzzle and cover her nostrils- I dont use the head tilt as she has SM but covering her nose seems to work well as she will open her mouth to breath.
Its scary when first heard I know!
Id ask your vet as like Mark said 5 mins is a long time and it normally lasts around 10 - 30 secs at most!

Karen

Back