• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry skin

tupup

Hi,
As many of you know Rubes hasnt been too well recently(fingers crossed she's steady at the moment) aswell as recent problems she has regular meds ie;gaberpentin,i noticed yesterday that she had some flakes on her back so i went thro her fur & all her skin is dry & flakey,i feel her coat isnt as shiny & full as it was,it seems short,her tail looks thin & straggly.Do you all think its because she's been so poorly or something i should get the vet to look at? She has probiotics with added omegas each day but could you recommend any supplements,ive seen some mention Yumega? Evening primrose oil?
Her coat really was beautiful until recently:)

Hey Tupup,

I would put the dry skin down to her body using more of the nutrients she gets to recover from her illness & she probably needs a bit of a nutritional boost. Often dogs coats do suffer when they're under the weather - its one way they can show us they are sick so it's not too much of a surprise her coat has suffered.

I would 2nd the reccomendation for the Kronch salmon oil - ive been using it for the past 3 months (aprox) & Sparky's 'cotton' coat has almost gone now. It's also full of good fatty acids so will give the skin a good (& Healthy) boost.

Good luck ;)

I would use Efa Vet Omega 3&6 Liquid complex, that will sort the dry
skin problem quite quickly.

Evening primrose oil is good, but I've found for mine that Grizzly Salmon Oil works a bit better (this is probably the same essentially as the Kronch). I've seen some mixed opinions on Yumega, but I guess it's true that what works for one dog doesn't necessarily work for all.

In my experience though it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get a true feel for if something's making a good enough difference, so whatever you choose to try, make sure you give it enough time before evaluating it. (y)

Back