Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New SM diagnosis

Post Thanks / Like

Pat- So sorry to hear about Riley. How old is he, and what were his symptoms? Big hugs to you both.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Trisha,
    Riley will turn 3 on Oct. 28th. His symptoms were excessive scratching, licking and lip licking, yelping when being picked up, hind leg weakness. He also is extremely lethargic, won't play with his toys, not sure if thise are related to the SM or not.
    Last edited by patg; 8th October 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Proud Mom to Riley, male B&T, my velcro boy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All those things would be pretty typical SM symptoms. The lethargy is likely due to general pain/headaches. Often people who eventually see symptoms talk about how their dog always was a bit shy and withdrawn, didn't like to be cuddled etc and that people thought it was just the quirks of their dog. I think often these affected dogs are experiencing pain that they don't or can't react to and express to us, like the severe headaches common for humans with SM.

One woman with SM who also has an SM dog described the pain she experiences on another list being like having rats running up and down the inside of your legs, biting at them.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    It is much better to know and have the MRI confirmed diagnosis, than to keep wondering and questioning. Riley went back for his re-check yesterday and Dr. Glass exclaimed " He looks GREAT". Those words sounded so good to me. Riley has responded so well to the meds. He is now on 2.5mg pred. once/day and the tramadol if and when needed. We go back in another month for re-check. Dr. G said we could resume all normal activity including pet therapy and walks etc. As happy as I am I am very much aware of the progressive nature of the disease. For today though, extra hugs, belly rubs and a nice walk if it stops raining.
    Proud Mom to Riley, male B&T, my velcro boy