Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for those that titer...

Post Thanks / Like

Question Questions for those that titer...

I have a few questions for those people that choose to titer their dogs for parvo/distemper/rabies as opposed to vaccinate: how often do you titer them? Every year?

I had the boys titered for parvo/distemper and sent the samples in to Jean Dodds at HemoPet a few months ago. The results came back, and they are very protected. I thought HemoPet said I only have to titer test every 3 years...is this right? I would have thought every year, just to be safe. What does everyone else do?

Also, do you ever titer for rabies (those in the US)? I don't know if the rabies titer is acceptable here, although I don't really care so much about the legality, I'd rather titer than get them injected for something they don't need...what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Carrie
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.caberfeidh.com/HHC.htm <--- This web site is a good read, and doing some "Googling" will help also. I have found a lot of information that way, and will continue to read up. I still have six months before I have to make the decision to titer or not for our puppy.

Post Thanks / Like

I titer when vaccines are "due". I have titered for rabies-6yr.old rescue who had never had vaccine previous to "1" yr vaccine at 6-titered her for rabies at age 8 and she was completely protected.(Reason I titered then was that I was being queried as to why I hadn't had her in for "3" year vaccine at 7 yr.-all so bogus,i.e. no difference between the 1 & 3 yr vaccine)

Had emailed Dr. Schulz-involved with Rabies Challenge and this was his email back:

The antibody titers on both of your dogs are excellent (protective). If you send these same samples in the future (not more often than every 3 years), you need not be concerned about the titers for CPV-2 unless they fall to 20 or lower and don't worry about CDV unless it falls to 4 or lower R.D. Schultz
    The CPV-2 is the Parvovirus HI Titer- Freckles ("due" for vaccine) was 160
    The CDV is the Distemper Virus VN Titer-Freckles ("due" for vaccine) was 32
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

I titered every 3 years (twice now) and now will not titer anymore. At 6 and 7 years old my two will not be vaccinated again. I titered for rabies as well (not accepted in CA in place of vaccinations, did it for my own info) and both were protected. I will no longer vaccinate for rabies either. I sent my registration into the City, they wrote back and wanted updated proof of rabies, I didn't send it (didn't do it!!), they cashed my check.....we are licensed as far as I'm concerned. With my future dogs I will do the puppy shots, 1 year vaccine, titer at 4 and never vaccinate again.

Don't get my wrong....I'm not against vaccinating....I'm against "boostering". It serves no purpose. I am extremely firm on this and can't be convinced otherwise .

Waldor - good website and one I've marked to read further.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses. I'm glad to hear that others are titering every 3 years, which is what Hemopet told me to do. I'll probably titer for rabies at some point maybe when they're 5-6 years old.

Waldor, thanks for that website, it has a ton of good information!

Cathy, thank you for telling me what you do for your dogs and what you plan on doing in the future. I agree with you on boostering

Frecklesmom, thanks for the email from Dr. Schulz - it was very helpful.

Thanks everyone!
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

So far their have been only a response from people living in America. Does anybody in the UK titer?
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is titer?
    Id like to know if it is an alternative solution to vacinating every year as Ruby finds injections very painful know her SM is progressing

Karen x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karen and Ruby View Post
    What is titer?
    Id like to know if it is an alternative solution to vacinating every year as Ruby finds injections very painful know her SM is progressing

Karen x
    Titering is when they take a blood sample and a lab checks it for specific antibodies, basically proving adequate immunity. It can be quite expensive and vets tend to just push the boosters (which can mess up a dogs immune system).

According to the pharmaceutical companies, "only healthy dogs" should be vaccinated. It is usually printed right on the package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven View Post
    Titering is when they take a blood sample and a lab checks it for specific antibodies, basically proving adequate immunity. It can be quite expensive and vets tend to just push the boosters (which can mess up a dogs immune system).

According to the pharmaceutical companies, "only healthy dogs" should be vaccinated. It is usually printed right on the package.
    Oh thanks- I supose either way it will cause discomfort whether its a blood sample taken or a vaccine. Only difference is the bloods taken from the neck (she has reacted really badly to this in the past).
    I will ask the vet about it though, sugesting they take bloods from her leg instead)?

Karen

Post Thanks / Like

I will be titering when they both go for their mri scans so they wont be stressed.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim