Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: puppy a little advice please

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just on canned pumpkin -- this is an American item that isn't available over in Europe so people here will not be able to buy it (no one eats pumpkin pie over here!). However any kind of hard winter squash, be it cooking pumpkins or hard marrows, cooked and mashed, provides similar roughage. It is basically the fibre, not anything intrinsic to a pumpkin, that helps regularity according to the vets I've seen comment on this.

On number of meals -- many breeders also recommend three meals, so take your pick. This is what I fed (3) and it worked fine for Jaspar, who was not interested in eating a fourth and just left the food. If the pup has an upset stomach not due to anything else than 4 meals might help digestability -- this is also recommended for adult dogs that vomit a lot.

Just generally, I've always recommended the feeding guidelines in breeder Laura Lang's online handbook as having an online link is handy, and not least as she also addresses how to avoid ending up with problem eaters in a sensible way. She recommends three meals a day for young puppies, moving to two then either one or two. I prefer one a day for my adults. So see what works. Many puppies will not want one of the meals if they are happy with three.

From Laura Lang's feeding recommendations:

FEEDING DIRECTIONS
    Whether you decide to feed a high quality kibble or a commercially prepared whole foods diet, the following directions will apply.

Puppies between 8 and 16 weeks of age do quite well on 3 meals a day. They start out with about a large handful of kibble for each meal or about 1/4 cup. At about 4 to 6 months of age you may begin feeding your puppy twice a day, about 1/2 cup or so each time. Somewhere between 10 and 18 months of age you may begin feeding just once a day--with some really good eaters you may need to feed just once a day by 6 or 7 months of age.

Each time you feed your puppy, put the food down for approximately 15 minutes. If the puppy hasn't finished it after 15 minutes, pick it up and put it away until the next feeding time. Do NOT try to feed in between. Refrigerate if you are feeding a commercially prepared whole foods diet. Do not worry if your puppy appears thin. Puppies are just like humans. Some are very thin while growing up and some are not. It is highly unlikely your puppy will starve itself unless it is already ill. A puppy that grows slowly is best--there is no first prize for gaining full size as early as possible! Puppies who grow slowly are more likely to be able to develop muscle and tissue at the correct rate to keep up the the bone development. Of course some puppies are gluttons! Be careful not to overfeed a glutton.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Laura Langs advice on amounts to feed a 8wk old pup pretty excessive. A large handful of kibble per meal for an 8wk old pup!!!!!! You just need to look at the size of a handful of kibble and the size of the pup to know it just isn't right!!!!!!! Unless of course the pup happens to be the size of a double decker bus.
    Anyone feeding this much will have explosive results IMHO!

I agree with taking food up if puppy doesn't eat it - and no snacking betweek meals!

I still think 4 small meals a day is much better for a 8 - 12wk old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkysue View Post
    I think that Laura Langs advice on amounts to feed a 8wk old pup pretty excessive. A large handful of kibble per meal for an 8wk old pup!!!!!! You just need to look at the size of a handful of kibble and the size of the pup to know it just isn't right!!!!!!! Unless of course the pup happens to be the size of a double decker bus.
    Anyone feeding this much will have explosive results IMHO!

I agree with taking food up if puppy doesn't eat it - and no snacking betweek meals!

I still think 4 small meals a day is much better for a 8 - 12wk old.
    I agree 100%-- IF they can stuff themselves, they will surly give themselves diarrhea.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your advice.

For the moment we are keeping him on three, as this is what he has been used to, he is also given a milk bone biscuit in between feeds, this is all that his foster mum was doing & we have been advised that for now to continue like that for at least a few days. he has been wormed again this afternoon so we will see what comes out and if that eases him a little. back at the vets just to be on safe side on Saturday morning for a check up. he is a happy little chappy and seems very content, just has a bit of a runny bum which the vet thinks will calm down in the next couple of days.