• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fireworks

Ciren

yes they started early, Poor Peaches was doing her nut last night.

i've searched on the forum search thingy but can't actually find any advice on how to deal with it, so if anyone has any tips could you reply please.

in the end she slept on the bed with us which i do not want becoming the norm.

I hate them,my birthday is Nov.5th,so every yr when i was little my mum and dad would have the firework display,i was allways under the table with the dogs.I have noticed in the UK they allways start letting them off earlier and earlier.I think they are banned here,allthough kids seem to get hold off them.I think if you hear or see kids assume they will be letting them off and do a garden and around the house check before letting the dogs out.Good luck.....

What we did last year was just keep them in the living room with us. The tv helped to block out the noise and I kept the blinds down as the flashes were driving Ollie crazy. I put the radio on when we were going to bed and it helped to keep them calm. Thankfully, the fireworks didnt go on too late into the night. The only real problem we had was going out to potty, Ollie would bolt back inside even though I was out with him.

odd thing is, she's never been like this before, only thing i can think of, is we hadnt put her crate back under the kitchen table. we only got back from holiday yesterday.

I think its a good idea to keep them with you ,and like said,keep the tv and radios on as well.

usually she is with us all the time, we had gone to bed early tho as we were bothreally tired, the REALLY annoying thing was they stopped after we let her out of her crate.

Ciren - have you thought about trying some of the desenitisation cds? It's just noises but if you play them in the background when everything else is normal, and gradually increase the volume, they are supposed to help with the poor pets fear.

My lot have always been grand with fireworks, I remeber the fear we had when we first moved into our current house - we were standing in the back with the dogs to make them feel more secure, the sky was lit up with funky colour and the noise was terrible (one of our neighbours was letting a mother load of them off) and the dogs took no notice, didn't even blink :rolleyes:

We have yet another one this year who is a bit jumpy so I hope the calmness of the others influence him. We will have them sleeping in our room for the night so this will hopefully help too.

A lot of people I know with sound-sensitive Border Collies who freak out at fireworks recommend DAP diffusers - some pet shops sell them, but also the vet medicine websites - they reproduce the pheremones produced by canine mums for their babies and really do seem to work. I think you plug it into an ordinary wall socket, but it's important to start it a week or two before 5 November - or as soon as possible, as fireworks start well before then! You can also get DAP collars which people swear by for dogs who are car sick or worried by traffic noise etc. DAP seems to work well in many situation where a dog is stressed and needs to be calmed.

Kate, Oliver (who goes out to watch the fireworks!) and Aled (first November with us but I hope will copy Big Brother in this as in everything else - good and bad!)

PS The great thing with fireworks is not to be sympathetic and fussy - this only reinforces for the dog that there is something to be worried about. The first year I had Oliver - when I didn't know how he would react - I got some nice treats and every time there was a loud bang I said in an excited voice 'Wow! That was a big one - I think that was worth a treat!' and called him over for a treat, without patting him or making a fuss. Now when he hears a loud bang he comes over to me wagging his tail and clearly saying 'Was that one worth a treat?!'

Last edited:
I am sooo lucky,the boys arnt scared of anything,its sooo noisy up here,with Ella and the kennels they are used to loud bangs,barking and kids.

Back