Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annual Boosters -Again

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Annual Boosters -Again

Hi

Its the same question again ,asked once more in case there are new or different views from last year.

Poppy and Rosie are due their booster injections this month ,should I go ahead and have them done , Poppy was 3 in July and Rosie was 2 in July.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Brian
    Thanks for bringing this up again. I have the same question.
    After finding out about Ebonies heart murmur (Not MVD) I have had a few people blame the booster. I have read a lot about why not to give the booster and it makes perfect sense to me, but if any of my dogs would get anything because they are not protected I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself. My Rosie is over due her booster and I am waiting and waiting and Harley is due his first booster soon. I really don’t know what to do for the best.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would be very cautious in believing what people say may or may not be due to boosters and vaccines as you'd think every tiny to major event must be the result of a vaccine. I have never heard any evidence that a booster would induce a heart murmur and cannot imagine why there could be a cause and effect. This would be a genetic problem, or disease induced, not from a vaccine. A cardiologist would be the expert to ask.

The vaccine guidelines have existed for several years now to only give boosters every three years. This will be very unlikely ever to change back to annually; as all evidence points to if anything, eventually giving them even *less often* (as studies emerge). But the US vet school and vet organisations recommendations remain the same. All the links needed are in the section on vaccines in the Health Library.

If people have questions on the correct protocols at any time, the best advice is to use the links I have in the vaccine sections as they go DIRECTLY to current vet organisation and vet school websites which is where you will get current information at all times.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, my dogs Vet goes on the 3 year protocol. Alternating years. Like if they get rabies this year it will be only rabies then not again until 2012. DHPP next year then not again until 2013. Heartworm test every 2 years since they are on prevention all year. Bordetella & Lepto every year because we live in the woods with a lot of critters around. Every Vet & every dog is different but this works for us.
    Teri, Remus, Loki, Leopold
    3 cats - Rumor, Serenity, & Thor

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes good point, it is the core vaccines that are on the three year recommendation. There is no rabies in the UK or Ireland so we don't get those at all over here. I get lepto annually and KC as well, as my dogs get boarded now and then. Some regions may not need lepto.

This is the direct link to vaccine info:

http://www.board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=9264
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

You can always titer them if you don't want to get them injected My boys are almost 2 and 2.5 and I had them titered this year instead of getting them injected and they were very protected. They each only had a single parvo injection and a single distemper injection at around 12-14 weeks, and rabies at 9 months, and they are protected against both parvo and distemper (I did not titer for rabies). I sent their blood to Hemopet in California (run by Dr. Dodds), I'm not sure where you can send it in Europe...just an idea...it was only $100 total for the tests (including the heartworm antigen) for both dogs. A bit more expensive than getting the injections, but I didn't want to inject them if they didn't need it.
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

I do have mine done annually, but this is only because I put them in the Boarding Kennels when I go on hols - and Boarding Kennels won't accept dogs w/o annual boosters!!! Otherwise I wouldn't get mine done as often. But I would have to have them done for Lepto as we're near lots of water courses.

I do think that it's all a big con though by drug companies and vets to make loads of money from us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkysue View Post
    I do have mine done annually, but this is only because I put them in the Boarding Kennels when I go on hols - and Boarding Kennels won't accept dogs w/o annual boosters!!! Otherwise I wouldn't get mine done as often. But I would have to have them done for Lepto as we're near lots of water courses.

I do think that it's all a big con though by drug companies and vets to make loads of money from us.
    I think TDI (therapy dog) started to recognize titers as an adequate substitute for annual DHPP shots. We never got our dogs renewed because we refused to get annual shots. One of the drug companies came out with a 'three year' DHPP shot. But I think it is the same as their one year shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I have started to titer mine. This year 3 out of 4 titers came out as being ok. The one with the low titer is one of my rescues. She received shots when I first got her. I don't know if she had any before. It may be that her next vaccine will actually be her first "booster". I will titer from now on, except for rabies. We have a 3 year rabies vaccine and they must be vaccinated for rabies for licensing in my county. My dogs are out and about at Rally and agility trials a lot, as well as training classes. My personal feelings are that I want to maintain their licensing so they get the rabies shot. Titering is a lot more expensive, but I think it is worth the money.
    J.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire

Post Thanks / Like

There is a good bit of incorrect and/or old information in these threads about vaccinations and titering.

A very good website (run by a Texas veterinarian with references to many published papers by Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ron Schultz) all about vaccinations:

http://www.critteradvocacy.org/

I've used this site for years and it is always up-to-date - it includes an extensive bibliography of veterinary published papers by Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ron Schultz, etc. There is a lot of info on this site and it takes a bit of time to go through it all. Some info that I've cut and pasted:

"Booster vaccines" or annual re-administration of modified live virus vaccines like
    distemper and parvo virus do not provide added protection. In previously
    vaccinated adult animals the antibodies from previous vaccinations block the
    new vaccine. Antibody levels are not increased, memory cells are not increased.
    (23 a) (Note from Pat - read about antibodies versus memory cells.)

The duration of immunity for modified live virus vaccines like K9 Distemper and Parvovirus
    have been proven to be 7 years by challenge and 15 and 7 years respectively by serology. Memory cells persist for life.(23a,23b) (Dr. Schultz did most of these studies.)

Titers of antibody levels do not accurately predict immunity or lack of immunity. (NOTE FOR EVERYONE WHO IS RUNNING TITERS.)

There is no scientific data to support manufacturers label directions to
    re-administer MLV vaccines annually.
    ---------------------------------------
    See the chart for the new vaccination protocol and notice that you MUST booster at one year (after giving the puppy vaccs) - one person mentioned only giving parvo and distemper vacc at a few months and not boostering a year later. That does NOT give adequate immunity. Note again that latest conclusion is now that titers do NOT reflect immunity or lack of immunity.

http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Are%2...Our%20Pets.htm

And another chart:

http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Canin...0Guidlines.htm

My advice is to read this information for yourself and make your own decisions about vaccs after discussing the material with your vet versus reading a thread and following someone's posted advice which may or may not be accurate. Print these out and share with your vet as there are many cited vet studies.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA