Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SM diagnosis

Post Thanks / Like

Default New SM diagnosis

My sweet loving Riley was diagnosed on Thurs with SM. He was MRI'd that morning so we have a definite diagnosis. I had posted as late as Sept. 16th with a question about his scratching. I had a gut feeling but didn't want to hear that Riley really had the disease. We have found a great neurologist at a state of the art hospital. Riley has started treatment and we are going back next week for another visit to probably change medications as per the Dr.
    I am going to try to keep a positive attitude and am actually relieved that now I know for sure and can get Riley the best possible care. Thanks for all of the info here, I have learned alot already.
    Proud Mom to Riley, male B&T, my velcro boy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi im sorry youve had your gut instinct confirmed but well done for being so positive & as you say you can get Riley on the right meds now.Good luck & keep us posted
    Blessed by the love of a Cavalier!
    G & Ruby(ruby girl!)B:04? Ex PF rescue,she came to me in '08 & has SM/MVD & she's a special princess & Jelly Tots(B&T girl)B:20/3/09,a real cuddles cheeky chops & the baby of the family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry that you got a confirmation. What approach have you decided to take? What meds have you settled on? Have you seen any response?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Riley's neuro, Dr. Eric Glass, advised that he was a candidate for surgery but also felt that we could try to medically manage him as well. For now I have decided to try the meds and see how he does. Riley was put on 5mg prednisone 2x/day, 50mg tramadol 2x/day and 1/2 pecid 2x/day. Today after being on the pred for 5 days, his dosage was cut in half to 1/2 5mg 2x/day. Riley has had a very positive results so far this early in his treatment and most of his symptoms have been all but eliminated. He is still very lethargic which is very sad to see.
    We are going back on Fri 10/09 at which time Dr. Glass (his neuro) said he will probably place Riley on gabapentin. So we'll see. I hope none of his symptoms re-appear as we cut down on the prednisone. He is definitely in much less pain than he was 1 week ago.
    It has been a very scary time but I am glad we know what we are dealing with and can now get Riley the help he needs.

Post Thanks / Like

HI,
    Just wanted to send big hugs to you and Riley And to let you know we're thinking of you.

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to read of Rileys diagnosis. At least now you can start to manage his pain. Sending lots of your way
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

I'll join everyone else in saying I'm so sorry that you had to join the SM club. My Riley (also a black and tan) was diagnosed last May and had decompression surgery in June of 2008. She is on prednisone 5 mg/day and a medication to protect her liver. She is doing really well. All you can do is love these babies and try to ease their pain and suffering as best you can. There are a lot of us on this forum with SM dogs, so we will try to help you in any way we can.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to Thank You all for your encouraging words and support. It is not a group that I ever wanted to join, but I am so glad that you are here.
    Hugs to all

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My thoughts are with you and hope meds help!

Heather R

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear your little Riley has SM. It's early days and I know you'll go through lots of different emotions and feelings over the next few weeks and months. With love you clearly show for Riley, you will make his life as good as possible and that's all you can do. I'm here if you need to talk, just PM me.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'