• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier Colours

LisaluvzCav

Hey is there a difference in the temprement of the diff colours of cavys. I heard the Ruby ones are very scatty but placid like the tris I also heard the Blenheims and Black & Tans are very yappy! Does anybody that owns a few diff colours notice the diff temprements?

I have two black and tans and they have different personalities. Charlie loves to cuddle all the time and is always happy and Sam loves cuddles when he feels like it and can be a bit grumpy sometimes!!

I have a B & T and a tri. The B & T, Harvey has always been rather nervous and can be very grumpy with other dogs. The tri, Dylan has a totally different character and has always been very happy and playful - much to Harvey's disgust! I don't know if its anything to do with their colour though!

No, there's absolutely no basis for thinking the personalities are different -- certain lines that focus on certain colours may have a particular type of personality but even then there are huge variations in personality among every single litter. A 'scatty' dog in my experience tends to mean a 'scatty' owner -- eg someone who hasn't really done much focused training or gives their dog conflicting messages so that they don't get a consistent response from their dog. Dogs almost always are in large part the result of the kind of training and environment they come from or live in. Part is genetics but in my book it is amazing to see how many owners of a prticular type will insist that dogs of the colour they own have a certain type of personality which is so clearly a result of the way they manage their dogs, nothing to do with coat colour. Behaviurs like yappiness tend to result from lack of training early on (or accidentally rewarding the dog with attention when it barks so that it is encouraged to do this more). None of my blenheims are yappy though Jaspar can bark for attention in particular situations. All of mine bark like mad at cats they don't know. :lol: My B&T is very quiet as have been most B&Ts I've met.

I have taken in cavaliers of all colours and owned cavaliers of three colours now and all are different. The bulk of dogs I get are blenheims and there's NO consistent personality type. I also have a calm and quiet tri, and a barky hyper one. I have seen yappy outgoing rubies and calm quiet focused dogs.

For that matter, you can see such variations across all breeds, all mixes. There are some consistent breed personality traits but you get all types even within breeds.

Hi

I would analyse my four as follows

Poppy - Tri Most faithfull of them all very friendly and loving to all people and other animals,a true Cavalier in every way.

Daisy - Blenheim The character girl of them all snooty ,independant ,bossy ,aggressive ,assertive thinks shes a rottweiller and being a Loranka she is (thinks) the Queen Bee .She runs up to all strange people and dogs then promptly goes flat on her back with her four legs up in the air .:confused:

Rosie - Ruby Loving ,faithfull ,shy ,tends to bark at things/noises she doesnt know then turns and runs and then hides behind me .

Lily - Black and Tan Still getting used to us but wants to be invovled with everything ,very loving and clingy ,trys to wind Daisy up ,loves to gallop/bounce everywhere ,the baby of the group.

Four different colours and four different characters and all unique to me and I wouldnt part with a single hair off one and love spending money on them all to make them all as happy and contented in life as i possibly can ,so they make me so happy and I do my best for them .:):):):)

Hi

I would analyse my four as follows

Poppy - Tri Most faithfull of them all very friendly and loving to all people and other animals,a true Cavalier in every way.

Daisy - Blenheim The character girl of them all snooty ,independant ,bossy ,aggressive ,assertive thinks shes a rottweiller and being a Loranka she is (thinks) the Queen Bee .She runs up to all strange people and dogs then promptly goes flat on her back with her four legs up in the air .:confused:

Rosie - Ruby Loving ,faithfull ,shy ,tends to bark at things/noises she doesnt know then turns and runs and then hides behind me .

Lily - Black and Tan Still getting used to us but wants to be invovled with everything ,very loving and clingy ,trys to wind Daisy up ,loves to gallop/bounce everywhere ,the baby of the group.

Four different colours and four different characters and all unique to me and I wouldnt part with a single hair off one and love spending money on them all to make them all as happy and contented in life as i possibly can ,so they make me so happy and I do my best for them .:):):):)

Thanks Brian. They all sound fantastic. Clara is alot like Poppy & Daisy:D

I don't think there's much difference tbh.

The only 'stuck up' one I have is a Ruby, but I think her nature is more to do with her knowing she is the only Princess in the Cavalier world! ;).

She's also a fiery little madam around other dogs if she's on her lead, but we wouldn't have her any other way :).

I wouldn't choose between colours to get a certain nature, but I do believe there's a big difference between Cavi dogs and bitches - the dogs are far more cuddly and loving and therefore my favourites :).

Hi

Harley my ruby is exactly like your Rosie. Full of love and kisses, barks at things he doesn't know and likes to hide behind his mum.

All of mine are completely different, but I had a B&T foster that was *exactly* like my Tri as far as personality. If I could handle 4 dogs permanently, I would have adopted her. Anyway, all my fosters are always different too, and usually all blenheims.

Back