• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flea treatment

harleyfarley

How often do you treat for fleas, in the past ive treated harley monthly as stated on the packet (drontal plus) copied

ADULT DOGS: Up to every month with Drontal Plus® or XL®. Or Advocate Spot-on® if not actively hunting ( kills roundworms but not tapeworms plus provides additional control of fleas, lice, ear mites, etc ). Prescription flea control will prevent reinfestation with the most common tapeworm. Dogs working closely with sheep or horses, allowed access to carcases or being fed uncooked offal or raw meat should always be wormed monthly.
1 tablet Drontal Plus®/10 kg bodyweight
1 tablet Drontal Plus XL®/35kg bodyweight ( more economical in larger dog )
1 Pipette Advocate spot-on® - pipette size dependent on bodyweight ( ‘Small’ <4kg; ‘Medium’ 4kg – 10kg; ‘Large’ >10kg – 25kg; ‘Extra Large’ >25kg – 40kg )

Now harley is just over 11 kg so has had to have the large pack, and believe me its double dosage which makes his off colour for a couple of days, when he was 13 kg then fair enough but now hes lost a couple of kg i feel that either less often or i should get the 10kg smaller packs, i spoke to the vet about it ages ago and he said "it is done on weight, if he is over 10 kg he needs the larger size pack." What do you all think, i havent treated him for several months now, kept a look out for fleas, or flea muck or itching and nothing so far, I dont want to leave it too long and i think i have one large pack left, then i tend to buy packs of six doses at a time.

Last edited:
I'd opt for the smaller dosage for Harley.He's still only a cavalier.
I got stronghold for Daisy, and to be honest I just dose every three months.I can't believe that an indoor cavalier who isn't fed on a raw diet would need any more.
If I give drontal plus, I wouldn't do it at the same time as the spot on treatment.
Sins

I use Advocate on cooper every 3 months, he's doors most of the time apart from his daily walk. You just rub it on the back of the neck, smiliar to stronghold I believe

Back