• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

talking to Cavalier owners

This is what I got from a dal breeder.

Bob Schaible bred a Dalmatian to a pointer 35 years ago to introduce a gene for normal uric acid that was supposedly lost from out gene pool. He did not keep records. He said he had no problems with the dogs he kept…about 12 over the course of 35 years.

We do have a genetic test that will let us know if the dog in question has the gene for high uric acid or normal uric acid.

Uric acid is not the problem. The problem is Dals can get urate stones. What causes them or why one Dal can get stones and another doesn’t is unknown. We have a pilot study in the works to find this out.

Interesting reading

http://www.dalmatianheritage.com/about/nash_research.htm

Last edited:
There was an article in dogs today magazine either last month or the one before about Dallies and the association between the spots and a predisposition to high uric acid therefor urate stones and it too talked about an outcross to a pointer and the problem being somewhat prevented in these outcrosses- probably talking about the same person as you have talked about Sandy.
As ive said before Im no expert but it made for interesting reading
In short it said that high uric acid was directly associated with breed lines breeding for certain conformation with spots.
Well thats what I took from the article.

Karen

It is totally within the realm of possibilities for SM to strike a crossbreed, when SM is known to occur in both parent breeds . . . as it is with MVD, patella luxation, hip dysplasia etc.

The prevalence rate should not be left out of the picture though. Right now not enough about SM in other breeds is known. I understand the Brussels Griffon, although not having as high a prevalence of rate of CM as Cavaliers do, does have a fairly high rate of SM. It is the only other breed that has had many MRIs.

Now that would be a wonderful first cross for those with no knowledge of researched breeding to start on.:rolleyes:
Yes within the realm of possibilities and today where DNA testing already exists for some breeds it has been proven by DNA.
Example say if any of the breeds via this link were crossed it would be advisable to DNA test the parents before doing so, and note the following from that page.
http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_prcd_pra.html
"It’s been proven that all breeds being tested for prcd-PRA have the same disease caused by the same mutated gene. This is so, even though the disease might develop at different ages or with differing severity from one breed to another."

Regarding CM/SM, here is a presentation slide by Dr Guy Rouleau which shows some other breeds and in time more breeds might be added, and with things like the above in mind I think one would have to seriously think about the realm of possibilities if thinking about cross breeding.

SlideOtherBreeds.jpg

Talking to Cavalier Owners

The problem with our Cavalier Breed ,and this has been stated in Veterinary Papers.

That Cavaliers get MVD at a much younger than other Breeds, this is the worrying problem.

That Cavaliers have Larger Brains .

Talking to Cavalier Owners.

Eddy,

Have a read from Karlin's latest Thread, this is for a lay person ,exciting news.

Only know that when this Membrane mentioned becomes inflamed it has similiar symptoms to those Cavaliers suffering from SM

Talking about SM

Yes I do believe you are doing the right thing by discussing sm with other cavalier owners. I myself have a cavalier that was diganosed last week with syringomyelia. I had no knowledge of this condition before all this happened to my 8 year old cav....Sophia. I wish I had known before hand and I wouldn't have been hit with this blindsided...so to speak. I would have know earlier some of the signs acossiated with sm. Instead I shunned it all off as being quirks she has or her getting older. I don't believe it would have changed the fact that I would have gotten her anyway. I can't change what has alredy happened but if I would have know earlier about this condition I could have gotten her help sooner. Sophia is such a sweet and loving dog, it breaks my heart to know that she could have been suffering...for a few years now. But she is on medication now and is doing so much better. Since I have went through this, I believe that all cavalier owners and anyone thinking of getting a cavalier should be aware of syringomyelia. There should be strict regulations for testing to make sure this condition is not carried on to further generations for the sake of the dog. It is a very cruel condition.
So yes, you should talk about sm.
Sophia.jpg

I wish I had known before hand and I wouldn't have been hit with this blindsided...so to speak. I would have know earlier some of the signs acossiated with sm. Instead I shunned it all off as being quirks she has or her getting older

Excellent post...and exactly why I say "yes, please talk to others about health issues". So many Cavalier owners aren't aware of SM and MVD and it's up to us to educate and enlighten them. I am thankful I was aware of what SM is and what the signs are so that when I noticed odd behavior in my girl that it wasn't a "quirky" behavior (I didn't know about patellas when she was little and put her "funny little walk" down to a quirk, not realizing she had a bad knee) I knew I needed to have her looked at further.

I think the key is not approach this in a "preachy" manner but rather in a way of sharing information.

So glad you were able to sort out what was going on with Sophia, get her on medication and improve her quality of life. Good for you. Please keep us updated on how she does. She looks like such a sweet girl.

Talking to Cavalier Owners

Brome,

You have Hit the Nail on the Head with your Post.

This is what we Cavalier Owners can do for our Breed, just make Folk who are thinking of getting a Cavalier ,make them aware of the questions that should be being asked from the Cavalier Breeder, and most importantly ,if the Breeder can't show a Health Certificate that Health Tests have been carried out on their Breeding Stock ,then they go to a Breeder who does this.

Hope all goes well with Sophia.

SM

Thanks Cathy for your concern about Sophia. She is doing very well. She had her 1st checkup yesterday and the doc said she was amazed how well she was doing. Sophia is walking now, falls sometimes and is still a little wobbly. She has not been shaking her head in the past couple of days. She has also been going outside to go to the bathroom. that is really good because only a week and a half ago she could not stand up without falling in order to go out and take care of her business. I was helping her at first by holding her to help keep her balance, then I started putting her harness on her and with her leash I could help to balance her so she wouldn't fall. Then after about 4 days she acted like she didn't want me to help her. She would just sit on the grass and look at me. So I took the harness off and after that she started doing it all on her own. She is a very independant. Accept when she wants to be babied..:) Also she is eatting and drinking, the first few days she could not hold her head up nor did she have the entergy to eat ot drink. Sophia has been eatting so good she put on 2lbs. :oops:We have to watch the weight thing. Anyway, she's doing great.....thank God!
But back to the subject about sm, Sophia and I have been through a lot over the past week and a half, so yes, cavalier owners and people that are thinking of getting that type breed need to know about the condition.
Sophia's mommy, Brenda

Back