• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pops Is Still Coughing

Brian M

Hi

I thought they had got over their horrible infection of Kennel Cough but poor Pops has coughed 4 times today ,shall I take her back to the vets or is there not a lot they can do as she has already had 14 days worth of anti - biotics and finished last Tuesday , or shall I just sit it out and keep on with the odd spoon full of childrens Benylin.:( :confused:

Plse think before taking affected dogs - into the Vets.

Brian, a phone call is your first action, following by having your Vet visit you ?

By taking your Pops into a surgery, you could well pass on the Cough and give other dogs the problem that you have had to deal with ! Puppies in for their injections could have their lives put at risk.

Antibiotics will not necessarily deal with a cough ?

I have had this issue with Vets before and my Vet tells me that a mouth swab is necessary to determine the type of cough, beit bacterial (organism) or Viral (virus) ?

Do others regard that I am right or wrong in my understanding ?

Regards Mark.

Mark
a phone call was made last week for more tablets the request was refused and answered fetch her up ,needless to say I havent been yet.

Brian, how long is it since Poppy started with her cough?
Gracie's took quite some time to clear completely, but of course she was very young when she developed KC. and a puppy is bound to struggle to shake off a nasty viral/bacterial infection like KC. I honestly thought at one point that it was never going to clear up. I too considered yet another course of antibiotics, but of course if her illness was viral, antibiotics wouldn't have helped really unless she had a secondary bacterial infection.
I just kept having the vet check her over and sound her chest to ensure that it remained as an upper respiratory infection and didn't go deeper into her lungs.
I understand how you feel, as you get to a point where you think - brilliant, she hasn't coughed since getting up this morning and then you hear the dreaded cough and your heart sinks. Because Grace coughed occasionally for quite some time, I think she was cough free for almost a week before I really felt that it was finally over completely.
If you are really worried, perhaps you could just get your vet to sound her chest? Hope she's ok.

Brian, if you are worried about bringing Poppy to the vets and exposing her to other dogs, could you sit with her in the car park and have the receptionist call you when its her turn?
Another thing I was thinking is if the kc is bacterial, a daily spoonful of manuka honey might help clear it up for her. I have used manuka honey on chest infections before and it really works. Its also great for the dogs overall health too.

Back