• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pee on Sight Puppy

Rjay

Every time my Bella sees any of my family members she has a habit of crawling to them from far away while trailing pee behind. It's cute, but messy and a tad bit smelly. I've read that this is a common behavior among puppies and I really don't mind cleaning up this type of mess because the pee trail is often very minimal, but I was wondering if anybody has had experience in this.

At what age did they stop exhibiting this behavior? I'm considering writing an article about this on my blog for those who might not be familiar with it and any future puppy owners looking for more information.

So is your puppy a pee on sight puppy? :p

Ours is a tinkler. She doesn't pee on sight, but when she goes up to greet them, she wets her pants. I don't know if it is submissive peeing, or if she's so excited that she can't hold it in, but I've learned to take her out before anyone comes to visit. She tinkled at the vet's on Friday, when he bent over to pet her, all the while her tail is wagging and she can't rub up against him enough.

I don't think she'll ever outgrow it. :yuk: And they cannot be scolded for it, because they can't help it. It has nothing to do with housetraining.

Same thing!

Now that I think of it my title is misleading. My bella does exactly as yours does. Whenever she greets somebody or someone bends over to pet her or greet her she lets one rip. The thing is she likes to crawl around in circles or from a distant while she does it so its like shes writing cursive on the carpet! hah.

I agree though it is not something to be punished for, other than this "Submissive peeing" shes very well house trained.

When my Cavalier lady was a pup she would pee to greet people - all over their shoes and trousers icon_blshing, but she grew out of it and now hardly comes over to someone to greet them (unless they have food or there are plenty of rubs going around). The only person she does it to now is my mother, she lived with my parents for a while when she was very young (as did I!) and seems to have an association with my mother and peeing all over the place, not very complimentary :rolleyes:

Ollie used to do this too. Up until he was about a year old I think. Thankfully he has stopped, he chooses to jump all over them instead now :rolleyes:

I'm hoping Bella will grow out of it eventually. Sometimes I'm afraid of having her on my bed when my mom walks in because she has association with peeing and my mom as well, not sure why because my mother has always been great with her. Oh well =D

I think some puppies just get so excited, they can't help it. She will probably grow out of it when she learns to control herself a bit better.

This is definitely a behavour that must not be punished (as if) as she really won't know what you are trying to tell her, and may think she is being scolded for being happy to greet people!

Who said puppy training was a piece of cake! :rolleyes:

I have yet to really learn about submissive peeing but I'm just kind of thinking here that maybe it's a possibilty of her "marking her territory" when someone comes over or near. Not sure if only males do that. Could that be a possibility? Hhmmm...so much to learn.

I think all puppies go through this at some stage, Ruby used to when I got home from work so I used to make sure that we did the hellos out in the garden.
Its just pure excitement and having a small bladder put together.
If pups are marking with urine they will sniff out a spot 1st and then pee it doesnt happen when they are happily saying hello to someone.

Karen

Excited pup

My Belle used to do this when she got nervous she grew out of it by about one or so, my other two never have thankfully.

But rest assured they grow out of it.

Well, they don't actually all grow out of it, but most do. :) It is a well-known behavioural problem for some dogs, for their lifetime, and there are ways of working to limit or end such behaviour in adult dogs. Dealing with it correctly from the start, whether puppy or adult -- which means never scolding or shouting at the dog, which only encourages the dog to be even more submissive and more likely to pee -- is key. (y)

My cavalier that I had as a child, Lottie, did it when she was a very young puppy. It seemed to be because she was excited to see people, and she'd run up wagging her tail and pee. It was very cute and she didn't seem nervous. She grew out of it pretty quickly. :)

I haven't read the other comments but try not make any fuss of your dog when you come in the house, not till you think the dog is calm, that may only be 1 minute. No fussing, no high pitched baby talk (come on we all do it!;)) even little eye contact. It's hard to get guests to comply but you could put a note on the door reminding them before they enter.

I heard that a huge celebratory entrance on coming home can encourage separation anxiety so if it's just me, I take my coat and shoes off and let Dylan out for a wee when I get in rather than make a fuss, that comes later! When others are with me returning home, he runs past them, dances the mambo towards me and then I can't resist. :rolleyes: He doesn't pee though.

Back