Thread: Reasons for Scooting

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reasons for Scooting

Hi Clara has been scooting for the last few weeks.So I assumed it was her anal glands. I brought her to the groomers and she had them emptied, there was a good bit of discharge she continued to scoot so I wormed her and she is still scooting is there any other reasons she could be scooting?
    Lisa-Owner to tri colour female ClaraBow born 30-6-09

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lisa,

Belle has suffered awful with her anal glands since she was a pup.Turns out they were infected. The vet put her on antibiotics first which didn't work so she had to have them flushed out several times to clear it. Best thing is to get your vet to check her out just to be sure..

Post Thanks / Like

Some dogs scoot after they go to the toilet - poo and scoot!

Is she licking at her rear? Or that general region? Sometimes if there is something up with their bits, particularly in girls, they will scoot. Generally, if they are scooting, there is nothing up. It's just one of those things they do. If you are worried or if it is excessive, maybe ask you vet. There could be something irritating her.

Post Thanks / Like

I had Dougall glands done only 3 weeks ago, I took him to the vets on Thursday, one was full and infected! I thought I was doing everything right. Both Molly and Dougall have scooted in the past and it would seem for no reason
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Sparky scoots all the time - he thinks it's funny! He stands in front of me & I know he's going to do it so I say 'you dancing?' & he scoots while making his gremlin noises!

Every time he has been to the vet theyve checked his glands & they've never needed emptying so I thnk he's just a messer!!! He's also wormed every 3 months so couldnt possibly be that either.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I had Dougall glands done only 3 weeks ago, I took him to the vets on Thursday, one was full and infected! I thought I was doing everything right. Both Molly and Dougall have scooted in the past and it would seem for no reason
    Cass, my jack russell, used to have to have her glads emptied every 6 weeks for a couple of years, the vet gave me nurtifibre granules which she had in her food twice a day for a couple of years, then I got her naturediet & that didnt seem to need the nutrifybre.

Shes had a mix of raw & dry since we moved to Ireland & for the past 2 years she hasnt needed them empied which is great as hers would ge really infected really quick.

Oh - when Cass was at her worst with it it was allways the left gland that would get infected for some reason.
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)

Post Thanks / Like

Shes had a mix of raw & dry since we moved to Ireland & for the past 2 years she hasnt needed them empied which is great as hers would ge really infected really quick.

Dougall is on a mixture of Raw and Dry, what actually do you feed her with?
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

She was on raw mince (turkey or beef) then untill recenty she's been on James wellbeloved lamb or turkey & veg varieties, also have used fish4dogs (salmon) & now she's on arden grange sensitive (but thats literaly only the last few days). I also give a nice raw bone every couple of week which I think helped with the glands - as well as giving her nice white teeth (my vet wouldnt believe she's 12 by looking at her teeth!!)

Suppliments she has are - garlic & rengreek tablets, mixed veg tablets and salmon oil - I was a little dubious of the oil to start with but it's not altered the consistancy of her poo's (I try to keep hers as hard as poss to empty the glands naturaly - sorry if too much info there!)
    Sonia