Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: injury followed by seizure vet confused??

Post Thanks / Like

Check her whole body for tick they are often a cause of a low platelet count. I really hope your vets are doing everyhting they can to get to the root of this as it sounds like it may be something serious. I hope you get some answers soon

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if you are in the US, but I'd seek a consult with a board certified internist at this point. Were you told that doxy is VERY hard on the stomach and often causes nausea and anorexia? It should always be given with food as it can also cause esophageal reflux and actually damage the esophagus causing ulceration. Recommendation is to feed half of a meal, give the doxy wrapped in some kind of food and follow immediately with the rest of the meal. But this can be difficult if the dog is not eating.

This site is for humans, but effects in dogs are similar:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2165217_avoi...-effects.html#

I presume they are giving doxy because of possible TBD because of the platelets? And giving pred because of suspected thrombocytopenia? I would have the consulting internist speak with Dr. Cowan at UT about platelets. They can also do coagulation tests to rule thrombocytopenia in or out. I'd be REALLY concerned about giving doxy and pred without a really good reason because those drugs have so many side effects.

Were there ANY subtle symptoms of anything before this incident - lameness, limping, anorexia, just "out of it" or listless/no energy? Any bruising on the skin? You did get full blood chemistry and CBC and urinalysis? Do you have past tests to compare? 25K platelets for a Cavalier doesn't alarm me and the hand count could have been incorrect. If coagulation tests are normal, I'd tend to rule out thrombocytopenia.

Read down to find out about a new platelet test by Idexx Labs that might help:

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/platelets.htm

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Just to echo what Pat said about doxycycline. None of my dogs have had it, but my daughter took it and did get horrible esophagitis. She wa in tears it was so bad. So that may be one reason Abbey isn't eating. I sure hope they get to the bottom of this. It must be so scary for you. I am assuming she is still at the hospital. If so, is it an emergency hospital with someone there 24 hours a day? At most veterinary hospitals (not emergency ones) there is usually not someone there to monitor the dogs all night. Abbey sounds like she needs to be monitored. I hope she gets better soon.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Before they even gave the doxy or pred.. she collapsed on them tons of bloody fluid in lungs, swollen heart compressed trachea... she couldnt breathe on her own... we had to say goodbye,, Its so unfair she was so young...

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very sorry to hear this. It is terrible to lose one so young. It may be too late but you might want to consider having a necropsy done since you have another dog. They are sometimes inconclusive but you may want to try to rule out anything toxic.

My sincere condolences to your entire family.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Have been following and am so sorry to hear this sad news about your lovely Abby -a terrible shock to you .
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, what a shock. I am so sorry. I am intears as I write this. My heart goes out to you.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. NO.
    I am so so sorry to hear this news
    Gentle thoughts to you all

Take heart that she was loved and safe with you to the end

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry....I hope you can find out what caused this. RIP little Abby
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim