• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

It makes it all worthwhile

Margaret C

Today, while doing a little research, I had a look at the Kennel Club Accredited Breeder's Scheme.

Now this was a scheme originally wide open to abuse. There was no inspectors to check that the limited health tests requested were actually done on the parents of the puppies offered for sale.

The scheme was boycotted by a lot of breeders because the puppy farmers all recognised a good scam when they saw one & registered in droves.

The KC has been pushing this scheme in an effort to answer the criticisms it will face when the various dog reviews are published. They have tightened up the criteria a little ( although be aware, the breeder only has to have done the health tests,the dog does not need to have passed them ) & more breed clubs have been encouraging their members to join.

With Cavaliers only the eye tests are mandatory, the heart test is recommended and with SM you should ask Club advice ( I do wonder, with the level of denial in some regional clubs, just what that would be )

When looking at the litters registered by the accredited breeders, one of them actually advertise that both the parents are SM tested and Grade A.

It just goes to show ........pigs can fly.:pi*no:

When looking at the litters registered by the accredited breeders, one of them actually advertise that both the parents are SM tested and Grade A.

It only takes one to start and hopefully others will see fit to follow.

I shall raise a glass of wine to you for all your hard work :hug: well done!

Hi Margaret

Theres not a lot I can say to you and all the others who led from the front for your belief for which you have all been totally vindicated and proven right let the sweet smell of success cover you all and bask in all of the rightousness that is so due to you after all the insults and victimisation you and Karlin and Bet and many others have suffered on behalf of our wonderous dog by those stuffy so rightous pompous collection of poor excuses for oddballs who profess to know all about breeding but have through many years at their hands turned our beautiful cavalier into the poor example of deforrmity and health it is today So Margaret and company take a bow and then poke two fingers in the air at them and all their funny little shows while we continue to try and suuport our breed in all we do.

With sincere Thanks to You From all the C K C S on the planets and the few owners that they allow.

:flwr::flwr::flwr:cavtinycavtiny:thnx::thnx::thnx:

Last edited:
Hi Margaret,

I echo Brian, thankyou for all your hardwork and it is also a great comfort knowing you are watching over us :hug:

Again... thankyou Margaret and co for bringing this dream in to reality. Yes its a huge step for the individual breeder and hopefully a small step for the future of this breed!!!:w**h**:

It Makes It All Worthwhile

Thanks Folks for including me along with Margaret, I appreciate it so much, I did make such a mess of things at the beginning of SM making it's appearance with the things I was saying and believed.

Margaret , maybe the KC will be on the right track after all.

Don't know whether this is right or wishful thinking , but I have heard that for Cavalier Accredited Breeders ,come next year, it will be Mandatory to have Health Tests for SM and MVD.Not as is a present just Recommended

It Makes it all Worthwhile.

Karlin ,Sorry I did'nt include you in my personal Message to Margaret,should have, your Cavalier Talk List has been a God Send to all of us who have been affected by the suffering of our Cherished Cavaliers

I think it is a great start that breeders can formally indicate what testing they are doing. This makes it a lot easier for puppy buyers -- and indeed other breeders -- to get a sense of what a particular breeder considers important to his/her own breeding programme, although people must know to ask for results!! I like that breeders now have this *option* within the scheme. I have never understood why the standard was to list nothing and not offer the choice -- surely if someone is not testing in certain areas they feel perfectly able to defend why not, to a prospective puppy buyer? And likewise those who are should be able to list what they screen for and can argue with buyers as to why they consider this relevant to a breeding programme. It is a good initial move by the KC. (y)

HOWEVER:

... it seems extraordinary to me that in this particular breed, a special scheme that is intended to promote healthy breeding only requires *eye tests*!! While it is great to do eyes, surely hearts are the single most important tests to do, and I would argue MRIs as well. These are widely available to breeders at very low cost in the UK. Indeed an MRI in the UK costs considerably less than it will cost me to do a single heart auscultation with a cardiologist in Ireland.

Karlin wrote: it seems extraordinary to me that in this particular breed, a special scheme that is intended to promote healthy breeding only requires *eye tests*!!

I think the KC feels (rightly or wrongly) that it can only enforce its own 'official' health schemes - ie those it sponsors with the BVA, such as eyes, hips, etc. These are the only ones whose results are automatically published in the Kennel Gazette and appear on KC registrations. I think there was mention a few months ago of heart testing becoming a KC/BVA scheme, which would certainly be a step in the right direction - the cardiologist sends the results direct to the KC, so they can't be hidden!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back