Thread: Ear Infections?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ear Infections?

Does anybodys cav suffer with ear infections? Clara has had 2 already and Ive been giving her drops the vet gave me seems to be workin smell gone and they look clean but she is still scratchin. Does anybody use anything that keeps them away for a good while? Do you think she needs an antibiotic?
    Lisa-Owner to tri colour female ClaraBow born 30-6-09

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey and Holly have had their fair share of ear infections through the years. I wash their ears with epi-otic eat wash every 3 weeks or so and it seems to keep them at bay. The drops that the vet gave you should do the trick, how long have you been using them?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using them for nearly a week now and she gave some ear cleaner to clean them every 2 weeks

Post Thanks / Like

I know from experience that there are different kinds of drops for different infections. Holly gets Can-aural for hers and Bailey usually gets Surolan for his so maybe your vet was mistaken in the type of drops he/she gave you? If it hasn't cleared up after 10 days I would take her back to the vet.

Post Thanks / Like

Clara has can-aural too. It has made a difference as there used to be a very bad smell coming from her left ear and a build up of brown waxy substance now thats completely gone and no smell. Just she seems to be still scratchin them and hurtin herself maybe its her nails are too long Il get them clipped and see if this makes a difference. Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

No problem there could be some gunk left that isn't visible when you look into her ear, the ear cleaner that the vet gave you should get rid of that. I'm not sure if he/she showed you how to use it but you squirt it in and then massage the top of her ear if yoiu hear it squelching then you are going it right, then just use some cotton wool to wipe away any excess!

Post Thanks / Like

When Gabby had an ear infection she was also given canaural, her follow up appointment was for 3 weeks later because the vet said it could take that long to clear up, but I did see a difference quickly . On the followup appointment the vet then gave me Octoclean ear cleaner which I use on Gabby and Jasper once a week.

Hope Claras ear clears up quickly
    Andrea
    Jasper
    21/Dec/05 - 28 August 2014 my best friend, my soulmate
    Gabby 8/Nov/07,
    Felix the cat 4/April/10