• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear Infections?

LisaluvzCav

Does anybodys cav suffer with ear infections? Clara has had 2 already and Ive been giving her drops the vet gave me seems to be workin smell gone and they look clean but she is still scratchin. Does anybody use anything that keeps them away for a good while? Do you think she needs an antibiotic?

Bailey and Holly have had their fair share of ear infections through the years. I wash their ears with epi-otic eat wash every 3 weeks or so and it seems to keep them at bay. The drops that the vet gave you should do the trick, how long have you been using them?

I know from experience that there are different kinds of drops for different infections. Holly gets Can-aural for hers and Bailey usually gets Surolan for his so maybe your vet was mistaken in the type of drops he/she gave you? If it hasn't cleared up after 10 days I would take her back to the vet.

Clara has can-aural too. It has made a difference as there used to be a very bad smell coming from her left ear and a build up of brown waxy substance now thats completely gone and no smell. Just she seems to be still scratchin them and hurtin herself maybe its her nails are too long Il get them clipped and see if this makes a difference. Thanks for your help :)

No problem:) there could be some gunk left that isn't visible when you look into her ear, the ear cleaner that the vet gave you should get rid of that. I'm not sure if he/she showed you how to use it but you squirt it in and then massage the top of her ear if yoiu hear it squelching then you are going it right, then just use some cotton wool to wipe away any excess!

When Gabby had an ear infection she was also given canaural, her follow up appointment was for 3 weeks later because the vet said it could take that long to clear up, but I did see a difference quickly :). On the followup appointment the vet then gave me Octoclean ear cleaner which I use on Gabby and Jasper once a week.

Hope Claras ear clears up quickly :)

No problem:) there could be some gunk left that isn't visible when you look into her ear, the ear cleaner that the vet gave you should get rid of that. I'm not sure if he/she showed you how to use it but you squirt it in and then massage the top of her ear if yoiu hear it squelching then you are going it right, then just use some cotton wool to wipe away any excess!

:xctly:Ewwww :)

When my Golden had ear infections (which seemed to be most of the time) he often had different bacteria so one thing in itself would not clear it up. If the drops don't seem to be working after a week or so she might need another ear swab to see what is still there.

Just a little tip for keeping ears clean.
I use Thornit powder, a very little pinch, once a week for my nine dogs. Touching wood here, but I have not had problems with ear infections for years.

I think you can buy it on eBay

Just a little tip for keeping ears clean.
I use Thornit powder, a very little pinch, once a week for my nine dogs. Touching wood here, but I have not had problems with ear infections for years.

I think you can buy it on eBay

Thanks:) Ive heard very good reviews on it so Il defo get some for Clara

well, after read this forum I just ordered Thornit powder from UK as I can't find it her in Australia. icon_nwunsure

Hope it's work,

see how lovely she is. Wherever good products are, I'll get for her. :jmp2:

Back