• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dougall and CM

Tania

Dougall has been suffering with quite bad sensitivity in his back, he has been seeing a McTimoney Chiropractor (with Clare Rusbridges guidance)who is very gentle with him and avoids any treatment to the neck....Dougall was diagnosed with cm last December and he is now on Cimetidene and Previcox. Since he has been on medication, he seems brighter and more bouncy.
We are going back to See Clare Rusbridge tomorrow as his sensitivity I would say is slightly worse. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience of these symptoms. The other thing he does and always has, he sits on his bottom with all his feet in a line, which looks funny but I wonder if he sits like that because he is uncomfortable.
We have ruled out skin problems.

Sorry Tania

I dont have any advice to give you but I hope Clare will have some ideas tomorrow for you x
Let us know how you get on- wishing you luck xxxx

Karen

Some SM dogs do sit in a funny way because they have hind leg weakness; I've seen this mentioned a few times.

I'd re-discuss with Clare having a chiropractor doing anything to a dog that is showing increased sensitivity. In general they are not recommended for an SM dog if it is anything to do with neck/spine (including by Clare), though it depends on what you are having done. I am sure she would have discussed and okayed whatever is being done.

I know someone with brain damage due to a 'leading' chiropractor's manipulations though and thus have not a single good thing to say about them for dogs or humans and make no apologies for having a strong opinion on the subject.

Thanks Karlin for your advice, Clare Rusbridge recommends we book Dougall in for a scan Thursday week. In the meatime we will hold off from any other kind of treatment. Will let you know what happens.

Some SM dogs do sit in a funny way because they have hind leg weakness; I've seen this mentioned a few times.

I'd re-discuss with Clare having a chiropractor doing anything to a dog that is showing increased sensitivity. In general they are not recommended for an SM dog if it is anything to do with neck/spine (including by Clare), though it depends on what you are having done. I am sure she would have discussed and okayed whatever is being done.

I know someone with brain damage due to a 'leading' chiropractor's manipulations though and thus have not a single good thing to say about them for dogs or humans and make no apologies for having a strong opinion on the subject.

I went to a chiropractor once. After he was done I was in so much more pain than before he had touched me. Needless to say I never went back. I have to agree on this one. Don't like them. Hope everything goes okay with the scan. :hug:

I have picked Dougall up from having his scan. He has not developed sm and there are no pre-syrinx which is good.:) We are to try him on a course of Garbapentin to see if this will help with his back pain/discomfort. However, he has got psom :(
We are lucky we are not in a worse situation and I am grateful for that but I thought I would just let everyone know where we are with him.

That is some good news at least! I know it must be terribly frustrating when less is known as to the cause of his pain, but it is a good thing not to have a pre-syrinx. :flwr:

Back