Thread: Smelly eye discharge

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Smelly eye discharge

My sweet baby is 6 months old and in the last week or two he has had "smelly" discharge from his eyes. He usually has the normal discharge like most cavaliers, but lately when I wipe it away it smells really bad. It doesn't look yellow or greenish, almost clear, but definetely a remarked change in smell.

Any ideas?

Thank You!

Nemo's Mom

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it would be best to get this checked out by the vets - eyes are very delicate structures and it's best not to take any chances with them, as things can go wrong very quickly.

I hope he is ok.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    I think it would be best to get this checked out by the vets - eyes are very delicate structures and it's best not to take any chances with them, as things can go wrong very quickly.

I hope he is ok.
    I'll second that - get him to your vet straight away. I've known several dogs whose eye condition has deteriorated very quickly (within hours, rather than days) so do visit your vet and please let us know how you get on.

to the Board and we'll be thinking of you and Nemo
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Not to contradict what was said above....but Shelby, in particular, occasionally gets smelly tears. It's not so much a discharge from the eyes as much as tears. They kind of smell like vinegar. It only happens once in a while and usually related to a change in our weather. Is this the kind of thing you are seeing in your puppy?
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Chelsea developed smelly tear stains, discharge was clear also. The discharge was of a yeasty smell which is what the vet agreed with. She wanted to shave the fur off under her eyes, but my drama queen would have none of that. Eyes fine, so I have some liquid to put on the yeast (basically) skin infection. Good luck.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile liquid for eyes.

Could you tell us please, what is the name of the liquid ?

Were you told why the yeast is in the the tears ?

This is a big problem with Cavaliers and I have tried all manner of treatments without real success.

Also been told that it's to do with the shape of the face and the fullness of the dogs cheeks UNDER the eyes ?

Regards Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

The solution is called "Micellar Solution", an antiseborrheic and cleansing solution containing phytosphingosine manufactured by sogeval. It says perscription only, avoid contact with eyes so I clean Chelseas eyes with a moist cotton ball then apply this with a cotton swab. I hold her muzzel so she cannot jerk away.

The bottle says for ear cleaning, eye contour, treatment of localized seborrheic dermatitis of the skin folds/face folds.

Does not have much smell, Chelsea was fine with it. Sounds like it would work well, her face looks better already.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)