• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Smelly eye discharge

NemosMom

My sweet baby is 6 months old and in the last week or two he has had "smelly" discharge from his eyes. He usually has the normal discharge like most cavaliers, but lately when I wipe it away it smells really bad. It doesn't look yellow or greenish, almost clear, but definetely a remarked change in smell.

Any ideas?

Thank You!

Nemo's Mom

I think it would be best to get this checked out by the vets - eyes are very delicate structures and it's best not to take any chances with them, as things can go wrong very quickly.

I hope he is ok.

I think it would be best to get this checked out by the vets - eyes are very delicate structures and it's best not to take any chances with them, as things can go wrong very quickly.

I hope he is ok.

I'll second that - get him to your vet straight away. I've known several dogs whose eye condition has deteriorated very quickly (within hours, rather than days) so do visit your vet and please let us know how you get on.

icon_welcome to the Board and we'll be thinking of you and Nemo

Not to contradict what was said above....but Shelby, in particular, occasionally gets smelly tears. It's not so much a discharge from the eyes as much as tears. They kind of smell like vinegar. It only happens once in a while and usually related to a change in our weather. Is this the kind of thing you are seeing in your puppy?

Chelsea developed smelly tear stains, discharge was clear also. The discharge was of a yeasty smell which is what the vet agreed with. She wanted to shave the fur off under her eyes, but my drama queen would have none of that. Eyes fine, so I have some liquid to put on the yeast (basically) skin infection. Good luck.

liquid for eyes.

Could you tell us please, what is the name of the liquid ?

Were you told why the yeast is in the the tears ?

This is a big problem with Cavaliers and I have tried all manner of treatments without real success.

Also been told that it's to do with the shape of the face and the fullness of the dogs cheeks UNDER the eyes ?

Regards Mark.

The solution is called "Micellar Solution", an antiseborrheic and cleansing solution containing phytosphingosine manufactured by sogeval. It says perscription only, avoid contact with eyes so I clean Chelseas eyes with a moist cotton ball then apply this with a cotton swab. I hold her muzzel so she cannot jerk away.

The bottle says for ear cleaning, eye contour, treatment of localized seborrheic dermatitis of the skin folds/face folds.

Does not have much smell, Chelsea was fine with it. Sounds like it would work well, her face looks better already.

Back