• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We're Back.

antigone

I am sure that i have been more tired, I just can't remember when. Levi and i got home rather late last night, I gave him his medicine (took my own) took him out for one last potty break and went to sleep. Around 2:30 this morning, Levi was making a few whines so I got up and dressed (sort of) and took him out again. They were certainly right! He wants to eat, drink, pee and poop all the time from the steroids. I think it is WONDERFUL! He wasn't really eating or even drinking much at all before I took him to LIVS and it is amazing to watch him eat. I am being as careful as I can not to feed him too much but it is so much fun just to watch him eat that it is hard to refuse his plaintive begging.

He still scratches some but not much at all. This scratching COULD easily be taken for normal doggie behavior, if I hadn't seen him before. He does not like to have his activity reduced and he is a sneaky little pest. He has managed to evade my most careful precautions and has jumped off the bed twice since I got him; once at the hotel and once here. I hope I haven't already let him ruin himself. It is rather frightening taking care of this fragile guy who doesn't know he is fragile.

It started raining as we approached Boise in the plane and rained some during the night. Levi does not like getting his delicate little feet wet and seriously tries to lift all of his feet off the ground at once if the ground is even damp. That and the dark discouraged him from want ing a walk last night but today has been another story. I never thought I would see a bored dog. This is ONE bored dog! But bored is a million times better than a dog in constant pain.

Everybody I met was curious (or bemused) by Levi in his stroller during the trip back. I thought it was a wonderful opportunity to tell everybody that asked about SM and asked each one to tell two people. If that really happened, by today there would be at least 45 people who have found out for the first time about SM. It probably didn't but there at least
fifteen people who know now when they didn't before.

I have been around an awful lot of people and had to hustle around just finding my way and getting from place to place on our way home. It was dreadfully frightening and confusing. I don't know what, if anything (other than what was left of my mind) I lost on my way back to Boise. In Las Vegas, Levi needed to go outside to the dog rest area and I didn't have the slightest idea of what to do. Finally I found some lockers and put everything except Levi, his stroller, my boarding pass and ID into a locker. Then I pushed him in his stroller until we finally got out. They have a little train that takes people from security to the gates but I thought that was WAY too frightening so we walked. Everyone I asked tried to be helpful but even people who worked at the airport didn't always know which areas were closed for construction and so Levi and I had quite the tour. I would tell you that we went around in circles several times but I was so confused that I don't actually know. When we finally got out, I took him out of the stroller and he was so grateful to be able to go. Then we wen through the whole process again to get back to the lockers and find the gate. To tell you the truth, I was frightened, hot and sweaty the whole time. But we did it!

I have to tell you all (as if you didn't already know) that the people at LIVS are all wonderful and there couldn't be a better place for anyone to take their pet, not matter what the problem, but especially for SM. It is a miracle that Levi and I could go and I would do ANYTHING to have everyone with a pet know about their great work. I think I would rather go there for my own health care than to many of the doctors I have seen.

I will write more tomorrow after another night of (maybe) rest. All of you have my deepest gratitude for your interest, concern, the things you have taught me, and your company along this whole journey. I don't mean just the traveling, I mean the whole journey from discovery of Levi's SM and through today.

Thank you. Thank you. I will be happy if I can be even half as helpful to the next person struggling to help their pet with SM.

More tomorrow. (I am going to copy and paste this message to the ArnoldChiari_dogs list, and the CKCS-SM list because I am running out of words for today. I hope this doesn't get you all as bored as Levi is!)

Kathy

I am so glad you and Levi are back home safe and sound! It sounds like he is doing great so far -- hopefully you'll have a good night and the two of you will be able to get some rest.

Thank you so much for all that you've done, and will continue to do, for Levi. He is a very lucky guy to have you in his life!

We're Back,

Kathy,

It was great to read your Post.

Now it's time for you to get your Breath back, Feet Up if possible.

Finally ,thank you for mentioning about SM to the Folk you met, this is what I think is one of the Most Important things we Cavalier Pet Owners can do for our Lovely Breed ,tell Folk about the serious problem in the Breed ,SM and MVD,

This way hopefully, Cavalier Breeders minds will get Focused to Health Test their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

Take care Kathy,

Levi needs you.

Wow....you've really gone through a lot....and successfully!! I'm a pretty confident person, and all of that would have intimidated me! I think you did wonderful. I'm so glad you guys are back home and now on the road to recovery. I loved reading about the changes in Levi already. Welcome home Kathy and Levi!!

So glad you and Levi got home ok.
The changes you have seen in Levi already sound so encouraging, especially to people who got dogs with SM. The place you took him too sounds excellent.
Now you need to have a well deserved rest.

Well done Kathy
So glad you made it back safely, you've done so well. Levi is lucky to have a great mum like you and of course show is appreciation with lots of cavi cuddles.

Take Care Kathy

I know it has been a really exhausting few weeks and a stressful chunk of travel as well. Welcome home and glad you are back safely with Levi. It sounds as if he is so much better post-surgery, even in such a short period!

Levi

Hi Kathy, Glad you and Levi are back at home safe and sound. Sounds like your trip was pretty stressful. Now that you'll are home, it's time to kick back and try to relax a bit. Thanks for the up date.
So glad you have been telling people about sm. I have been tellling people about the condition since learning about sm the hard way. What amazes me is most people are not awhere of syringomyelia nor have they heard of it. icon_nwunsure so the way I see it is to spread the word.
Levi has a wonderful mom. Welcome home!
Sophia's mommy
Image052.jpg

Ask Levi!

I am not so sure that he thinks he has a wonderful mom. He is EXTREMELY aggravated at me because I won't let him do any of his favorite things. He even decided earlier today that, if I wouldn't let him run around and jump and go on walks that HE wouldn't give me kisses. Not only THAT but I forced him to give up a treat he found for himself (that REALLY makes it his) in the cat litter box. He is very hungry from the prednisone and he thinks I am being very stingy with the food. I can't convince him to take his medicine, no matter what I put it in, and he REALLY does not like it when I open up his mouth and drop it down his throat. He is furious at the ancient cat (Chloe, 16 years) and does not like to see HER going places he can't go.

Other than that, things seem to be going well. I saw him trying to scratch and I was going to get upset but I think he is trying to scratch his incision, which he can't reach.

I am pleased that his house training, which I said was "spotty" before surgery, seems to have become much less "spotty!" Right now he is gnawing on an old piece of rawhide chew and that is keeping him busy for a while.

If you do happen to get one of the applications for a new home that he will be sending out soon, please ignore him!

Kathy

If you do happen to get one of the applications for a new home that he will be sending out soon, please ignore him!

:D I will mark "return to sender" and send it back to him.

Do you give veggies as treats? No calories and my guys love them. With the meds...what have you tried? Peanut butter is a sure-fire winner here, my two will eat anything as long as it's disguised in peanut butter. Keep us posted on how he's doing. And remind him.....it's only because I love you that I make you follow doctor's orders. Shelby had 8 weeks of confinement after knee surgery and I honestly think it was harder on me to make her follow the rules than it was on her.

Sorry Kathy but he is welcome to come and live here any time, he is just so cute and he could share Chaos's stroller too. He would get the nasty meds the same way Chaos gets hers and that is inside a cream cheese triangle and would never know.:rotfl:

I use soft cheese spread for pills, but just a bit of butter works for me too. You can also buy edible pill pouches from Greenies.

I hide tablets in cheese, banana, or a bit of yoghurt.

Sounds like you're doing a great job and so glad you are both home safe and sound.

The Pill Pockets from Greenies work wonders over here. They come in chicken and beef flavors and I even buy the feline ones since they're so small and they come in a fish flavor. A little variety for my SM girl. The prednisone fits in the feline ones.

You have my complete admiration for what you have achieved for Levi.

Kathy

If Levi manages to get in contact with my Fonzi, we are in trouble.

For years Fonzi has been trying to go home with any stranger he meets, so if a funny little black & white fluff ball, looking something like a demented owl, turns up with his overnight case, you will know they have arranged to swap owners .

Back