• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

9 week old with runny tummy

Vana

Hi There,

We've had him for two days and he's been settling in well. House training is a little difficult, but we're persevering and being consistent.

He has developed a runny tummy. We have kept his diet exactly the way it was at the breeder. I know I should call her, and I will do that tomorrow morning. But I was just wondering if there is any advice out there on what to do?

icon_nwunsure

Most pups get an upset tum when they change homes however if it doesnt clear up in 24 hrs and if it is accompanied by sickness and not eating then get to the vet ASAP.
Small pups can become very ill very quickly!

Hope your pups perks up soon

As Karen said, a tiny pup with an upset tummy can go downhill quickly. I would recommend seeing the vet in the morning. Hope the little one is better soon. What food is he on?

I'm not sure of your location and I know this sounds crazy but here in the States the water can vary from place to place and cause tummy problems. I discovered this when I moved from one county in Ohio to another and had to switch my dogs over to water from a filtered pitcher. The new water even made me sick.:confused:

I hope things get settled down.

DeeDee
mom to Bailey and Mollie

Thank you for your replies. He's not being sick, and he's eating and drinking water. It's just the runny tummy. It makes it so much more difficult to house train!

It's been almost 24 hours now. I'll see what happens this morning, and then call the breeder and then the vet if it hasn't cleared up.

I also thought about the water situation. The breeder and I are in different counties (we're in England) so that might just be it!

Thanks again for your help.

He's on Burgess supa dog puppy.

I've not heard of that. I really wouldn't bother telling the breeder, she/he is not going to help clear up an upset tummy. I'd still stress a puppy that young can go down hill very quickly with diarrhea. I'd get to the vet today.

Both of mine had this when they were pups. Sometimes they eat something in the garden and it upsets them or it could be the change in their environment. Bring the pup to the vet just in case. Our vet would just tell us to feed them steamed chicken and rice until it stops. He did mention the water but we still use the tap water and it does not affect them. I always scauld their bowls and water bowl every morning just in case.

Back