• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shelby's MRI

Kate, actually dilated ventricles are not the same as hydrocephalus (but hydrocephalus involves dilated ventricles). All my scanned dogs except one had dilated ventricles but none, according to Geoff Skerritt and Clare Rusbridge, has hydrocephalus. Hydrocephalus is a very extreme version of dilated ventricles... (see below). It also isn't the vetricles pushing down on the cerebellum (alone?) but the Chiari-like malformation and the fact that the skull typically slopes in and presses inwards at that point in this breed, causing hind brain compression (compression on the cerebellum). When this is extreme it actually forces the cerebellum down into the opening into the spinal canal (the foramen magnum).

According to Clare Rusbridge, no one yet knows what role dilated ventricles play, if any. In some breeds, huge dilated ventricles are actually normal. The neurologists note them on scans on the possibility that this may be significant and it may be useful to have those readings in future.

From Clare's website:

What is ventricular dilatation / ventriculomegaly?
The ventricles are four communicating cavities within the brain that are continuous with the central canal of the spinal cord. The four ventricles consist of the two lateral ventricles, the third ventricle and the fourth ventricle: They are filled with CSF, which is formed by structures called choroid plexuses located in the walls and roofs of the ventricles. When there is an obstruction at the FM the CSF can “back up” in the ventricular system, dilating the cavities. When ventricular dilatation is considered an incidental finding it is often described in MRI reports as ventriculomegaly. Severe ventricular dilatation resulting in brain compromise is described as hydrocephalous. Hydrocephalous as a consequence of CM is rare and most cases with ventricular dilatation have no associated clinical signs. Ventriculomegaly is also seen in other situations unrelated to CM and is particularly common in brachycephalic (dome headed) breeds.

You can see an image there as well: http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/part2.htm#8

I know a couple of the researchers do consider dilated ventricles to be significant in some way as yet unknown, and they often dilate further as SM progresses.

Yes. This is what her report said

Chiari like malformation of the caudal skull YES
Dilatation of the central canal / syringomyelia YES –C2-C4 (max width 3mm)
Syrinx may extend beyond the caudal limit of scanning
Ventricular dilatation MODERATE
Mucoid material in left tympanic bullae

I've forwarded the information to my vet who took the images.

Cathy- Well, I guess it's just as you thought. What are your next steps? Just wondering since her symptoms are mild, what treatment you're considering and what meds (if any) she is now taking.

Big hugs to you.

Cathy.. I know you've been really struggling with this issue and I'm glad that Clare wrote you back.. ***HUGZ** to you.. you're in my thoughts and prayers!

Will this "new opinion" change your course of treatment or have you decided that yet?

Could I just say best of luck on what you decide to do about Shelby.

Also can I mention how lucky the Cavalier Breed is to have such Dedicated Person as Dr C Rusbridge.

I not sure of these facts, but I believe that a number of years ago ,when she saw a number of Cavaliers with this same condition ,she began to realize there was a Problem and decided to investigate as to what was happening.

The rest is now History.

Yes. This is what her report said

Chiari like malformation of the caudal skull YES
Dilatation of the central canal / syringomyelia YES –C2-C4 (max width 3mm)
Syrinx may extend beyond the caudal limit of scanning
Ventricular dilatation MODERATE
Mucoid material in left tympanic bullae

I've forwarded the information to my vet who took the images.

Cathy:

Hugs to you and to Shelby. Hopefully, her symptoms will stay mild and she will have good quality of life for many years to come.

Our BudBud has minimal symptoms -- occasional, single yelps (not every day, maybe a couple times a week), some face rubbing and some scratching which from looking at videos I would not classify as SM scratching. He is now on Gabapetin (100 mg. 3Xs a day) and Prilosec. There has been some diminution of the yelps and face rubbing but they have not disappeared. He does seem happier. We just got back from the beach and he had a great time chasing birds and butterflies, digging for sand crabs (or to China, not sure which) and just playing with his Clumber sisters. He was zonked every night! He will have been on Gabapentin and Prilosec for two months in another two weeks and we will reassess dose and whether we need to try something other than the Prilosec.

They bring us such joy that it is hard to accept that they can experience pain and not tell us how to help them.

Back