• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried

Jane P

Dylan was diagnosed with SM on Tuesday and since then I have not been able to stop worrying about him being in pain. The last two days he has been jumped on in the park where I walk the dogs. Yesterday it was a German Spitz stud dog which kept mounting him and today it was a lurcher cross puppy who was chasing him and jumping all over his back. I am so worried he might get hurt I don't want to walk him in the park anymore. Am I just being over protective?:(

Jane, I'm sorry about his diagnosis. I worry about things like that too. I think you have to watch him---if he seems to not enjoy the park, then don't go. But he may truly love it, and quality of life is most important in my book. If going sends you into a panic, I would stop going, though. He'll be able to read your emotions. Maybe just long walks instead may be just as enjoyable for you both.

Does he show any outward pain? Is he on medication? A lot depends on the individual dog. many dogs also seem to get their own natural painkillers through running and playing.

So in short: if he has pain anyway and doesn't seem to want o be playing like this (most dogs will make it clear that they don't like something), I'd walk him rather than leave him loose in a dog park or take him when it is quieter. If he seems to be enjoying himself and is playing with the dogs -- I'd not worry about it. My Leo enjoys play and running and tug of war etc and I let him decide what he wants to do. I'd intervene if he was clearly hurting himself but he never seems bothered. Other dogs might need some protection from rough play.

He is on metacam and gabapentin. He definately does not like the rough play from other dogs although he does play fight with my other cavalier at home. I just worry about other dogs jumping on his back.

He is on metacam and gabapentin. He definately does not like the rough play from other dogs although he does play fight with my other cavalier at home. I just worry about other dogs jumping on his back.

It is very worrying when you get an SM diagnosis.

I think you will find that the anxiety you feel will subside as you get to know just what Dylan can still do without hurting himself.

I would agree that if he does not like the other dogs jumping on him it would be best to keep him on his harness in the park, or walk him somewhere else.

I was frightened to even touch my boy, also called Dylan, after his MRI because they also gave him a spinal tap and his back was shaved :( You do get used to it, how to hold them, how to pick them up etc. it took me ages. I do really understand how you feel. He won't know he has to watch his back with the big dogs so no, you are not being paranoid, you're just being a good mum. It's up to you to protect him. I keep Dylan on a very long lead in the park, it's designed for a horse. He gets a run but if any big dogs come along, I gather him in.

Thank you for all the replies. Pauline, that must have been awful for you. Clare Rusbridge did my Dylan's MRI and she said if she couldn't find anything on the scan she would do a spinal tap (with my permission). I am very glad he didn't have to have it done. I will try what you said with the long lead - I think I will feel happier then. When my other cavalier jumps on him he will tell him off but he won't fight back with dogs he doen't know!

The spinal tap was done at the same time as the MRI to avoid a second anesthetic. Dylan had acute pain in one patch on his spine, the neuro assumed a syrinx or meningitis. I had to sign release papers as it is risky, I'm glad I had Margaret with me because I was in a right state. In retrospect, I think it would have been better to have the scan first and only the spinal tap if needed as he took a long time to recover from that.

With the long lead, try to avoid those extendable leads, they can so easily slice your hand or the dogs legs and they get tangled with other dogs leads.

This lunge line is what I use attached to a harness, yes it will get wet as it drags on the ground, I put it in a carrier bag after.

Last edited:
Your welcome. It's these little tips that can make a difference. PM me anytime you need to talk. It is depressing while you get used to it.

Hi,

When over the forest I walk Leo on the same kind of lung line Pauline showed, I bought it at Pets at home.

Apart from the fact that it's always filthy when we get home it's fantastic for Leo to have a great run:dgwlk:

Mel

Back