• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I hate fireworks

MadPip

and trick or treaters!
Maddie's bombproof when it comes to loud bangs, but is getting wound up by the amount of kids we've had knocking on the door tonight.:x

Pippin is fairly relaxed by the visitors, but is barking everytime the fireworks go off.

Poor little lodger dog Brandy is scared silly by the fireworks (and Pippin barking isn't helping) and wound up by the amount of visitors.:(:(

I've had rescue remedy in the drinking water, and the DAP plugged in for 3 weeks, and we have 2 "dens" set up for the dogs, and the radio on quite loud, but I think the fireworks are fairly local tonight, so I have one very stressed, one quite stressed and one agitated dog at the moment. Poor animals.

Sorry, just had to share, I wish fireworks were restricted to organised displays, because then I'd know when and where they were and could make plans to avoid them with the dogs.

Hopefully they will have stopped knocking by now as it's nearly 9pm. Maybe next year, put a sign on the door, "No trick or Treaters". We only had one knock and I didn't open the door and the fireworks don't bother Dylan. We got off lightly this year.

One of mine has been crawling the walls since about 6.00 because of bangers and fireworks going off. We had one knock on the door but didn't answer so had no more. Gave him and my other nervy one some rescue remedy drops earlier but because he was so wound up it didn't do much to help (it did calm the other chap a bit though). It's the two extremes in my house - some are cool and collected and don't even notice the bangs while others are scared and barking at any little noise. We are having them all up in the room with us tonight (big treat, they usually sleep in the kitchen) so hopefully everyone will calm soon. The sooner tomorrow comes the better!

At least after tonight we'll just have the fireworks to deal with. Our local organised display is actually on the night itself, Thursday, and we're about 10minutes walk from where it is, so I think we'll be bundling the dogs into the van and driving off into the countryside to park up while it's going on. As long as we don't look too dodgy - 2 people in a white van parked down an unlit country lane after dark.:p:rotfl:
OH has just had to take them out for a walk :dgwlk:(it seems to have quietened down now) as Brandy wont go out in the garden to toilet before bed. Hopefully they'll see plenty of foxes to take her mind off being scared of the dark (and the loud bangs), and she'll do what she needs to do.

I thought Milly would have been upset by the fireworks, as she is very timid, they have been going of all night here, but she has been out in the garden when they have been going off and its not bothered her one bit, Amber has to have a barking spree everytime they go off, but thats Amber she just has to bark at everything.

We had no callers luckily a change from last year, but harley was up scratching and whining with the fireworks, scared silly he was. di

We were lucky...no trick or treaters here last night:D

We havent had many fireworks either........Last year Leo was terrified so Im hoping we'll get away lightly this year

I've just got back from visiting my dad, and he asked if there had been any fireworks near me, because there weren't any where he lives! I've threatened to send all three dogs to stay with him until after New Year's Eve when the fireworks should finish:rotfl::rotfl:

When I was a kid fireworks were all on 5th novemeber whatever day of the week that fell on.

Now they have them the week before to the week after, and New Year and local peoples birthday parties, wedding etc.

They could happen anytime with no notice and it must be terrible for pets, let alone horses who are out in fields and could bolt and injure themselves.

Why not put the dogs in a separate room, maybe with someone there with them, for the short period of time kids come to the door? Then they will not be disturbed by visitors. Also if they are really perturbed by visitors this would be a nice thing to train them for -- by working to have friends visit and ring the bell and training the dogs to calmly sit and wait for them to come in. It is nice to have dogs that enjoy visitors and are not triggered to go mad by a ringing doorbell and would be of benefit year round! :)

Mine get happily excited at the thought of visitors. I just close the hall door to answer trick or treaters. But I considered just putting them upstairs with a radio for the short space when kids came by -- really only for about 2-3 hours especially for little ones.

I love seeing the neighbourhood kids come round in costumes each year. I offered to let them take a barking dog instead of a treat! No takers! :lol:

Kids enjoy this time of year so much -- didn't all of you enjoy going door to door as kids asking for nuts and treats? I spent weeks thinking about costumes and days after sorting through treats with my brothers. Seems a shame to keep a house deliberately dark and unwelcoming for this generation when so many of us enjoyed the kindness and welcome of a previous generation of parents. :) And it is only one day out of the entire year.

Why not put the dogs in a separate room, maybe with someone there with them, for the short period of time kids come to the door? Then they will not be disturbed by visitors. Also if they are really perturbed by visitors this would be a nice thing to train them for -- by working to have friends visit and ring the bell and training the dogs to calmly sit and wait for them to come in. It is nice to have dogs that enjoy visitors and are not triggered to go mad by a ringing doorbell and would be of benefit year round! :)

Mine get happily excited at the thought of visitors. I just close the hall door to answer trick or treaters. But I considered just putting them upstairs with a radio for the short space when kids came by -- really only for about 2-3 hours especially for little ones.

I love seeing the neighbourhood kids come round in costumes each year. I offered to let them take a barking dog instead of a treat! No takers! :lol:

Kids enjoy this time of year so much -- didn't all of you enjoy going door to door as kids asking for nuts and treats? I spent weeks thinking about costumes and days after sorting through treats with my brothers. Seems a shame to keep a house deliberately dark and unwelcoming for this generation when so many of us enjoyed the kindness and welcome of a previous generation of parents. :) And it is only one day out of the entire year.

It's the fact that people are coming to the door NOT to see the dogs that winds Maddie up - she is, after all the centre of the universe.:rotfl: Unfortunately the only room we have exclusively at the back of the house is the bathroom - and that's rather small for 3 dogs and an adult to camp in for a few minutes never mind hours.

I have to say as well, for me and in the area I live Trick or Treat is something fairly recent (certainly not from my childhood days) and copied from USA tv and films. It feels very much like begging, just my opinion, and with costumes easily and cheaply bought these days, I'm not sure much thought goes into it. We did go to Halloween parties as children, but never went door knocking for treats. The only time of year we went from door to door was carol singing, and that was a mixture of adults and children, usually collecting for a local charity. We knew more than the chorus of We Wish You a Merry Christmas as well! And to prove I'm not a complete grump - last Chrsitmas Eve some of the local children came carol singing and knew several carols, and I was more than happy to reward their efforts.:smile:

Something I've aways wondered though - the question is trick or treat? - what do you get if you say "trick"?

First night of fireworks last night... and Poppy was alert and just barked for a good 5 mins.. was quite funny as she was running round the house...

She wouldn't go outside though, without one of us... bless them all x

Jo & Pops

I crated all the dogs with a loud fan running in the room and a sheet draped over the crates and I sat on my front steps and gave out candy that way the kids didn't have to knock on the door or ring the bell. It helped a lot. I, too think it is sad how many houses darken the door and do not participate in halloween. Like Karlin, it was an exciting event for my siblings and I. We'd get together with friends and the parents would build a fire. We'd cook hotdogs and roast marshmallows while we waited for darkness. Even the police drove around and handed out really awesome bags of candy. We'd run around the neighborhood trying to figure out which street we were hearing the siren on and watching for the flashing blue lights.

Back