• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Winston keeps peeing on himself!

jlaw

Winston is a 15 month old Blenheim male. He is neutered. We do not trim his fur at all except around the pads of his feet, so it has grown quite long on his belly and legs, as well as on his privates.

When he pees, he alternates between squatting and lifting his leg. He only recently started with the leg-lifting, and he's not very good at it... he alternates between legs, and sometimes loses his balance. However, both methods almost invariably result in him peeing on his front legs, belly hair, or both.

Is there anything that can be done about this, or is it just something that must be dealt with? I saw something in another thread about letting the hair on the privates grow long to create a "downspout" (lol!) and we've done this, albeit unintentionally, but it doesn't seem to help.

I used to have this with Pippin until he was about 2yrs old, and now it happens only rarely, at which point I just wash his legs and belly hair down in the sink with warm water. He also alternates between squating and lifting his leg, he squats if he's absolutely desperate.:rotfl: They do get better at the leg lifting though with practice.

Reuben does this too. Having him neutered soon so at least the pee won't smell as bad. Happens when he cocks his leg too, goes straight onto his front leg. ive given up!! :p

Some dogs just tend to pee on their belly hair and feathering. Leo does a bit at times -- whereas Jaspar (who is perfect :lol:) never does. You can trim a bit of the hair away of course -- I tend to trim back the longest belly hair on Leo.

Winston might improve a bit in aim or might not (not unlike boys and toilet seats).

Dylan has always squatted and I've never had any trouble with him getting smelly. Harvey has always cocked his leg and out on walks its every few yards sometimes. He is 5 now and has never improved it always goes down his back legs and over his stomach! I have to wash him after every walk otherwise he is a very smelly boy.:grnyuk:

Back