• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crate-training

pikkupupu

Hi, sorry for flooding this forum but I have read a huge amount of material and still I am not sure that I got the idea correct.

Well, we are crate-training Minnie, her crate is in the living room and she is staying there when we are not at home or can't supervise her. She doesn't pee in her crate. We let her out when we are playing with her so we are actually keeping eye on her. But sometimes during the play she just pees on the floor without any signs! So she was just normally playing and then next second she sits and pees.

What should I do in such situation when she pees on the floor? I have read that I need to clap and say something loud - I tried but doesn't really work, she just continues. Then I read that I should just take her out so she will end outdoors. But I live in the apartament building so that probably means that she is just going to end eliminating on the entrance hall!

Also, do I have to keep the crate all the time open when we are at home but can't keep close eye at her? Because she whines when it is closed but when it is open and she goes around the house, she pees!

Or do we have to start with papers?

I am really confused, will be glad for any help! :confused: :thnx:

I crate trained both of mine as well, and they continue to sleep in the crates at night and when we leave the house. They really love them, and run in there when I say "go to bed". :)
When they were little pups, I would put them in the crate various times of the day/night with some chew toys, etc. to get them used to it. Always make it a happy experience with a little cheerio or piece of kibble. NEVER use the crate for a place of punishment. I would leave the room too, so they wouldn't see me and whine. When they were left out to play, I only gave them access to the kitchen and family room- blocked off with baby gates. It is much easier to keep an eye on them in a small area. Usually they will circle or sniff around before they have to pee, and when you see this, say "outside" and scoop her up quickly and head for the door. I still take them out to go on a leash, that way I know for sure they are going. She will need to go out every 2 hours or so since she is so young. Be patient, puppy training is the least fun, but her never ending love and devotion is the BEST. :l*v:

She doesn't pee in her crate. We let her out when we are playing with her so we are actually keeping eye on her. But sometimes during the play she just pees on the floor without any signs! So she was just normally playing and then next second she sits and pees.

What should I do in such situation when she pees on the floor? I have read that I need to clap and say something loud - I tried but doesn't really work, she just continues. Then I read that I should just take her out so she will end outdoors. But I live in the apartament building so that probably means that she is just going to end eliminating on the entrance hall!

Frequently play will "get things moving" for a young dog and she will have the urge to pee very suddenly. The signals sent beforehand can very brief or maybe even nonexistent.

It might be good to add a potty break during play. This would even set up the chance to reward going outside with more play - some of the best motivation you can give her!

Also, do I have to keep the crate all the time open when we are at home but can't keep close eye at her? Because she whines when it is closed but when it is open and she goes around the house, she pees!

Or do we have to start with papers?

I am really confused, will be glad for any help! :confused: :thnx:

When you are bringing her out carry her out for a little while. That way she cant eliminate on the hall (she will not pee on you). That way she will get used to peeing outside and she will get used to the direction she needs to go before she eliminates. After a while when you are comfortable with her walking outside with you have her on a lead so that she just cant stop and do her business and it will give her a chance to learn where the toilet is for herself.

Also before you play with her it would be a good idea to bring her out to go to the toilet that way she is after doing her business before she plays and will not usualy do it indoors.

Try to use treats and lots of praise when she eliminates outside also. Alternate between giving her a few treats and no treats so that she wont get dependant on getting a treat every time she eliminates outside.

As for the crate. I would leave it open so that she can go into it to sleep if she wants to. Just keep an eye on her for any signs that she is going to eliminate. For a while dont give her free reign of the house until she is fully house trained so that you have her in sight at all times.

It takes a few weeks to house train a dog but when you do get her potty trained you will see the benefits.

Thank you! Yeah, I am already carrying her down the stairs as she is still way too small for jumping. I do give her treats when she eliminates outdoors and praise her A LOT. Also, we give her free run around the house after she went to potty but the thing is that i can't distinguish when she just starts sniffing the floor hoping to find something tasty and when she just simply wants to pee. But I guess, it is just about time.

With puppies, the difference is hard to tell! The best approach is -- as soon as you see her start to sniff around or especially to sniff and circle -- and they often start to sniff really quickly and almost frantically -- take her out! :) It isbetter to get her out and find it is a false alarm then to have the accident as every accident means a tiny bit longer for her to get the idea of housetraining.

There are different beliefs on how to take a puppy outdoors, but I often carry ours until we are outside, at least for the first month we have them. By then, I can trust they won't pee on the floor, inside the house, as I'm trying to open the front door. If I lived in an apartment, I would definitely carry the puppy in my arms until we are outdoors, until I felt the dog was understanding why we "go out."

Sophie had her share of accidents at first, too, because I misread the signals or she tried to tell me when it was too late. She's much better now and we think she has truly "got it" and is housetrained.

Unfortunately, I have to continue this thread as nothing, NOTHING helps! :((

It is just seems for me like Minni all the time is doing steps backwards.....

For example, earlier she could hold it but now she freely pees in her crate, on her bedding..I am SO frustrated...

And she never ever goes to sleep to the crate if the doors are open - she can stay awake even 4 hours but she won't go to sleep there, she prefers staying outside and falls asleep if we take her on our laps.

I don't know how to make her understand that toilet is outdoors and crate is a place for sleeping! It seems like with growing up situation just gets worse..We started taking her out on the leash all the way from our flat till the yard, but couple times she peed in the hall!

At the same time she seems really fast to learn, she has learnt already those obedience commands really fast but doesn't get anything about housetraining...

Are you taking her outside to pee every 2 hours? and as soon as she wakes, after she eats? pups have small bladders and can't hold on very long.

Are you treating the crate and other spots in your home with an odor remover ( you can find at petstore)?

This eliminates the urine smell so dog doesn't associate it as a place to pee.

When our Abigail was a pup, it seemed that we were taking her out 30 or more times a day and one or two at night.During the day after her getting up from any nap, after eating, after 10 or 15minutes of play. You get the idea.

If she is constantly going, you might want to be sure it isn't a bladder infection (don't know if this was already mentioned).

Best of luck, I have found our cute Abigail much harder to house train than our golden retriever.:(

Heather R

Last edited:
Yes! She is going right after she wakes up, 5 minutes after food, after an intensive play...and every 2 hours. Today, for example, she peed a huge pool in her crate, then we took her out, she peed a bit there and then I took her out in 45 minutes because I thought she might be looking like wanting to pee and she again peed a huge pool!

And yes, we use chlorine and vinegar on peed spots.

But well, tomorrow she has her appointment to the vet, I am going to ask to check her up for bladder infection.

Just wanted to tell you how the things are going :D

Well, we took her to the vet, she got her parvo boost and rabies vaccinations and also we asked vet about her frequent peeing. He told that it is ok as it is getting colder and many dogs even adult ones can have sudden accidents because of this.

Then we decided to try another measure - we bought Christmas bells from the shop and hang them on the door. And for several days already we rang those bells every time we were going out with her. And yesterday - dunno was it accidentially or not - she finally rang the bell by herself - tada! And when we took her out, she peed. A triumph?

I am soooo holding my fingers that it will help because before I felt that we were just speaking different languages with her and she didn't understand what I wanted. But I really wish that she got the idea. So, if someone is interested, I can keep updating this topic sometimes and tell if it works or not :)

Back