• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toby

blue_star

I just wanted to let you all know that my baby Toby was PTS about 3 weeks ago at 12 years and one month old.
Toby's full name was Isphan Simply Soul.

Toby had been in my family since 1997 when he originally belonged to my grandmother and was one big ball of fluff when he came home that first day. Sadly my grandmother past away in 1998 and from that time until a few years ago he lived with a family member. His time was happy there and often had little to drink or food to eat. Often health issues would be swept aside until I or another member of the family took him to our vets.

Finally we convinced the family member to allow Toby to live with us permanently and from then on he was treated like the King he was. Not only his bed sit next to the radiator he also had the pick of the sofa's in the living room where he could often be found snoring his time away. He made many friends locally and often went on road trips with me when I need to deliver errands etc.

His favourite food was sausages, steak, chicken and rice and loved nothing more than sitting under the table in our kitchen watching out for any food being cooked to be dropped on the floor.

He also loved nothing more than a good cozy up with me on our nights in on our own and would often follow me around as soon as I moved. He was always a welcomed member of the family and came with me on trips to visit family and friends. We often involved him fully in our lives like having his own stocking, present and dinner at Christmas to joining in with our New Year celebrations being in my arms whilst singing Auld Langs Syne with the rest of the family.

I hoped that I allowed Toby to experience many things from making friends with other dogs, long walks by the river (chasing the swans) and walking along the hills at a local beauty spot.

He fought hard in his life and survived having his anal glands removed due to a terrible infection and being one of the few dogs to have and survive Hyperparathyroidism (a cancer of the parathyroid) which among other things gave him rubber jaw!

My baby finally went to see my great grandmother again and to run free at the bridge on Sunday 18th October at 8:50pm. He was struggling to walk that morning and although the vet assured me it was probably a fit as he also had epilepsy he still was not any better by the evening. He took him to the vets who at first could not be sure what was going on and suggested a blood test. We decided to wait whilst the test was being done and to our horror my poor little boy was suffering from final stage renal failure! Luckily although my own vet 'Toby's Uncle James' wasn't on call but still came over to help my poor baby. We kissed him and he kissed us back and with me cuddling him, Toby fell into his final deep sleep. I hope Toby knows how much I loved him and how hard the decision was for me to make. I miss him more day by day. He was a special little Cav who helped me through many difficult times who I will never forget!

Run free baby but please wait for me.

Amy, my heart just sank into my boots :cry*ing:I'm so so sad to read that your precious Toby has gone to the bridge. You gave him a wonderful life
and I know that in months to come , you will be able to smile thinking about him.......but for now, please know that I am sending you big cyber hugs. I am so sorry for your loss :hug:

That's such a sad post.I'm sorry to hear you lost your beautiful boy,but he must have had an amazing life with you. If only all dogs passed to the bridge knowing such devotion and love.....
Sins

So sorry to read Toby has gone to the bridge. Sending lots of :hug: :hug: your way.

Oh my.....you've described Toby so well. What a lucky boy to have found so much love. He had such a beautiful life with you. I hope you don't mind that I've shared this picture. To me, it just shows how much a part of the family he was. I used to love reading your posts about Toby....he always seemed like such a content and happy little fella. And he was always so much a part of everything you did. Rest well little man....you had a great life and were very very loved.

100_0622.jpg

I am sorry to hear about Toby, he sounds such a sweetie and was a lucky boy to have your love, my thoughts are with you at this very sad time xx

RIP sweet Toby.

Toby was so lucky to have found you and had the opportunity to finally live the life a Cavalier should. He'll always be a special dog to be because his story reminds me so much of our Julie who passed away a few months ago at 15. She also lived with our grandmother and then was horribly neglected living with another family member once she could no longer care for her.

I know that Toby knows how much you lived him and is enjoying his reunion with your grandmother at the bridge.

Run free Toby, you will be sadly missed...... I too enjoyed hearing all of Toby's adventures and how is life was much improved since coming to live with you. You did a great job and he'll be smiling down on you:paw:

I am so sorry for your loss. Toby was so lucky you came into his life. I too remember the stories over the years about Toby. You gave him a special life and he will always be looking over your shoulder giving you butterfly kisses!

So sorry to hear that Toby has been given his wings. YOu gave him a fantastic life, even though he had to wait a while for it. His memory will stay forever in your heart.:hug:

So sorry to read of your Toby's passing. That was a wonderful tribute to hom and a wonderful photo.

Heather R

Last edited:
What a beautiful story you have provided about his life and how much he was valued and loved. There's no doubt he had a very wonderful life in his years with you. You are so kind to have gotten him away from an unhappier situation when he was younger, to such an altered life. I love the picture Cathy T added to this thread too! I am sure he is curled up on your greatgrandmother's lap. :)

As another member of "Uncle James" fan club, I know just what you mean about the care you will have received.

I've got tears in my eyes here after reading your moving tribute to Toby. Sounds like he really found his feet in your home and with all your TLC he survived his various health problems and was obviously very happy and much loved :d*g:.

RIP little Toby and play well with all the other Bridge babies. Holding you all in my heart, Marie-Anne

Oh what a lovely tribute to a special wee guy - and that is a fantastic photo.

I know you will miss Toby terribly, but take comfort that you gave him such a wonderful quality of life.

Saw the lovely photo of Toby on your Thank You card in Uncle James's surgery this afternoon - all the girls were sad at his passing.

Have PM'd you too. Hope you are managing to keep the happy thoughts outweighing the sad ones - he sure was a lovely boy.

All best wishes, Marie-Anne

Back