• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

APGAW Report: very strong recommendations on breed health

It's great that this is making the Kennel Club finally take some action...but we still need to educate the majority of the puppy buying public...

Sadly many still do not know or even care about health issues - they just want to buy a puppy as near as possible to where they live.

I hate to sound so negative, but I, like many others, try so hard to help people and just end up wondering why we bother...

I hope that legislation will be put in place - as otherwise I can see that all that will happen is that other registries will spring up - and people will buy pups without Kennel Club registration, as they are cheaper :swear:

Many of the breeders who say they will no longer breed have been saying things like that for years.

If they are not up to the challenge of trying to produce beautiful but healthy cavaliers, then it is probably best that they stop breeding

I've said many times and can only say again that pet buyers are equally part of the problem or part of the solution. There is no point in supporting healthier cavaliers and caring for the breed (or saying you do) if you take your single most meaningful and powerful action -- the buying of a cavalier puppy -- and turn your back on the health focused breeder in order to get a cheaper puppy, a puppy more quickly, a puppy closer by, from the casual breeder, the health-indifferent breeder or puppy farmer.

This is as morally bankrupt and as cruel and brutal to the breed and to individual dogs as indifferent breeding where health issues are ignored. The breed and the puppies bred by the junk breeder will suffer from such a self-focused and short-sighted decision.

I get so many private requests from people for referrals to health focused breeders. Then in many cases the people decide they won't travel; they won't pay what it costs to produce quality-bred puppies; they want a puppy this week as they decided Monday they want a puppy by the weekend; they can't get the colour they want and won't wait. So they go to the small ads, the family breeding on the side, the broker, the puppy farmer website.

Please always think of the wider consequences of your decision when looking for a puppy.

Very well said Karlin- couldnt agree more
It is those people who are just as detrimental to the breed as the people who do the breeding.
Why wont people wake up and smell the coffee!! Its right in front of us and these little angels will die out!

"However, and regardless of the KC’s face-saving spin, the rollercoaster of reform is, surely, now unstoppable and that is very good news for dogs.”

Oh please, please, PLEASE let this be true! :rah::rah::rah:

Apgaw report : Very strong recommendations on breed health

As Karlin says ,it's Cavalier Puppy Buyers who want a Cavalier Puppy immediately,who are not helping with the Health Troubles in our Cavalier Breed, but just supposing, after the APGAW and Professor Sir P Bateson's Committees Recommendations are followed through, and every Cavalier Breeder, including Puppy Farmers and BYB's,have to carry out Health Tests on Cavalier Breeding Stock, .

Then when a Cavalier Puppy Buyer wants a Puppy right away ,there will more chance of getting a Cavalier Puppy from Healthy Cavalier Breeding Stock.

The most probable way for Breeders to have their minds focused on Health Testing Breeding Stock, is the threat of being sued if they don't carry out Health Tests on Breeding Stock,and I think Professor Sir P Bateson has mentioned this, if the Puppy sold to a Buyer developes a Health Problem particular to that Breed and the Breeder,has no Proof of Health Tests being done on the Parents ,then the Puppy Buyer can go to court ,with the help of an Orginazation to pay the expenses for the Puppy Buyer suing the Breeder.

What a simple way,when you think about the Health Problems in Breeds ,this could be done ,no Legislation needed.

I believe Professor Sie P Bateson's Report is due out some-time in January.

One of the results of this report is LBC are showing interest, most of the presenters are big dog lovers. Carol Fowler was on the programme this morning. It got a great response from the public.

Back