Thread: Matt in her tail

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matt in her tail

I have noticed that Sally has a matt towards the base of her tail. Has anyone ever had this and how did they get it out without hurting their cav? I was hoping to groom them myself soon before their next appointment at the groomers just before Christmas. I have difficulty brushing Sally's tail because she hates it so much this is why this matt has appeared. I think an early trip to the groomer might be in order.
    Sally (Blenheim) 01/02/07
    Lois (Tricolour) 25/09/08

Post Thanks / Like

If the matting is really huge and can't be combed out, I just cut it out with scissors. That's what the groomer will do, most likely. You can do it for free, yourself, at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Tail problems.....

I would get a fine pair of scissors and cut the length of the matt, going with the hair.

Then comb until all comes out ?

Consider using JOHNSONS detangling spray for children. Not used it myself but apparently it does the job well.

Use sedative (like for fireworks) to make dog more relaxed.

Good luck,

Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

I also cut out mats that are too large or if Abigail starts to complain.

Every evening I brush and comb her (as she is sleepy after eating). Did the same yesterday; took her to vet today for her annual checkup and didn't the vet find a small tangle on her side

Heather R

Post Thanks / Like

And don't forget the treat afterwards! My dogs all know that when I get the brush out that treats are sure to follow. Some matts just can't be combed or brushed out, but if you try to cut it like Mark suggested (with the fur not against it) it leaves a less abrupt and jagged line. My groomer also suggests wetting the tail before brushing.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine all hate brushing in that are bu I hold them gently and find they wriggle for a while then eventually just relax. Giving treats throughout the process can help (esp. if you have a helper). I use a slicker brush and brush the length of the mat then at about a 30 degree angle then the length, then the angle and this generally works it out. Hold the base of the mat too of course so it doesn't pull. Lucy in particular is prone to tangles at that location.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday evening I spent some time working on Sally's tail to get the matt out. Mark the Johnsons detangling spray was excellent her tail was so much easier to brush. I did have to cut most of the matt out but at least its gone. So this weekend I am going to bath and groom them myself so they smell nice and fresh. I really advise others to use the spray it really does work.
    Sally (Blenheim) 01/02/07
    Lois (Tricolour) 25/09/08