Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vocalising - pain??

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki so sorry you are in this difficult situation. I don't know if this helps I had to make this decision but under completely different circumstances (MVD). It's hard to describe but I just *knew* it was the right time and whilst waiting for the vet my primary emotion was relief for my Sophie and not sadness. Sophie had good times and bad times but for me it came to the point where the good times could never outweigh the bad. The link Charli mentions sounds well worth a look. Hope I have understood your post corectly.
    Last edited by Clairelou; 5th November 2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Mum to Tallulah (blenheim)
    Three Precious Cavalier Angels in Heaven, until we meet again girls...xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone - we've very sadly lost three Cavaliers since August last year, each time having to make this decision. In those cases things were much more clear cut - they weren't going to get better, and we wanted to prevent them suffering.

I would always rather let them go too early than too late...have seen/heard of too many kept going for too long, and it is not fair.

I was hoping maybe someone would have had experience of vocalising like this...it's knowing how much pain he is experiencing.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help everyone - we have had blood and urine tests done as Teddy was drinking excessively, and have discovered that sadly his liver is deteriorating badly - he is in liver failure. This could be the cause of the vocalisation - he will be feeling a bit sicky and "toxic", but is not in pain with it.

My vet is preparing a report for Clare Rusbridge - fortunately few dogs seem to develop problems with drugs, but Teddy has been on them for 3 1/2 years at high dosages.

We will repeat the tests in two months, and will obviously let you know how he is doing - he is on two liver support drugs now, as well as all his other medication.

We are just enjoying every day - he still comes for a little walk most days, which is great.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh that is so difficult --not the news one wants to get back. Lots of healing thoughts for Teddy -- sometimes you really do feel the choices are so limited with this damn condition; you treat and then find what may be side effects with the medications. I hope he can be as comfortable as possible and glad he is enjoying his small daily walks.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about Teddy. My heart goes out to you and Teddy.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki- I'm so sorry about Teddy. You had a feeling there was something going on. At least you've started him on some kidney supporting drugs which will hopefully help. He's so lucky to have you.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a terrible year you have had Nicki, just wanted you know I am thinking of you.

Nanette xxxxxxx
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki, I am thinking of you and Teddy. I can only offer lots of support at this time.
    Kathleen x
    Kathleen
    Thomas (tri-colour) & Jade (blenheim) waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I know all to well how difficult the decision is. I'm not sure the answer is if they are having a good day, if they are playing that day or even if their taill is wagging. These beloved cavaliers wag their tails even when they are in terrible pain. I't just what they do. My feeling is and was "would I want to be like Ollie, crying out, not wanting to be petted, compulsive behavior to divert his attention from the discomfort like constant chewing at a toy, foot. Remember what your dog was like before the SM. Is he really different. Ollie was a therapy dog who loved to be with people. After the surgery he would turn his back on everyone and stare out into space rather than have them reach out and pet him. I think we do keep them here with us past the time we should. It hurts like hell to make the decision. It still hurts and I say goodnight to him each and every night. But, I know I did the best thing for Ollie. He is free of the pain in his head and body. I could not have given him a better gift. I'm the one with the pain as you will be. It's your decision. I feel for you.

Post Thanks / Like

No advice Nicki...Just wanted to let you know you, your family and Teddy are in my thoughts.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)