Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DOG WORLD and APGAW REPORT

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default DOG WORLD and APGAW REPORT

The Headlines in this week's Dog World mentions the Long Awaited and in some quarters Dreaded Report by the APGAW Committee.

That the Committee has concluded that there is a Serious Problem with the Health and Welfare of Pedigree Dogs ,and that further measures should be implemented to improve the situation.

This Recommendation is so sensible ,particularly for our lovely Cavalier Breed,

That NO DOG should become a Champion unless it has been Health Screened for Diseases known to be Associated with the Breed,and Proof of that Produced.

This could be so simple to be carried out.

The Cavalier's Owner have a Current Heart Certificate and MRI Scan Certificate to show that those Health Tests have been done, .

It is the Cavalier Champions who will be getting most used in Cavalier Breeding Programs ,if they are suffering from MVD or SM , will have the greatest chance of spreading those two diseases most through-out the Cavalier Breed.

The Judge only needs to ask to see those Certificates ,before awarding the Cavalier his or her TITLE.

NO Health Certificate ,NO TITLE!
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Dog World and APGAW REPORT

Karlin,

OH DEARIE ME, I have just been challenged once more ,could you allow me to answer it here please.

I think the saying is, Once more into the Breach Dear Friends.

The question asked of me was, would I stop Folk Breeding Cavaliers I think is how it was Phrased.

My answer is ,definitely YES, if the Cavalier Breeders are not prepared to carry out Health Tests for SM and MVD.

I think my views about this for the MVD afflicting the Cavalier Breed have been well known about for the Past 20 years.

Now that SM has appeared on the Scene for the Cavalier Breed ,my answer is the same for that Insidious Disease.

I will even go further and say ,for me , I would far rather see a Smaller Gene Pool, but that Gene Pool has only Healthy Cavaliers ,who will have the chance of Healthier ,Longer Lives in it, than what is happening to to-days' Cavaliers.

Even in the article advertising about the Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Film to be Broadcast in America 10 -12- 09,8m,ET/PT,there is mention about the wee Cavalier writhing in agony because of a Brain Condition

This has now been stated by the APGAW Committee ,is because the Cavalier Heads are too Small for their Brains.

That ,the Article goes onto say , many Dogs are Molded purely for their looks and success in the Show Ring.

I wonder what America will make of the PDE Program?
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    Karlin,

OH DEARIE ME, I have just been challenged once more ,could you allow me to answer it here please.

I think the saying is, Once more into the Breach Dear Friends.

The question asked of me was, would I stop Folk Breeding Cavaliers I think is how it was Phrased.

My answer is ,definitely YES, if the Cavalier Breeders are not prepared to carry out Health Tests for SM and MVD.

I think my views about this for the MVD afflicting the Cavalier Breed have been well known about for the Past 20 years.

Now that SM has appeared on the Scene for the Cavalier Breed ,my answer is the same for that Insidious Disease.

I will even go further and say ,for me , I would far rather see a Smaller Gene Pool, but that Gene Pool has only Healthy Cavaliers ,who will have the chance of Healthier ,Longer Lives in it, than what is happening to to-days' Cavaliers.

Even in the article advertising about the Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Film to be Broadcast in America 10 -12- 09,8m,ET/PT,there is mention about the wee Cavalier writhing in agony because of a Brain Condition

This has now been stated by the APGAW Committee ,is because the Cavalier Heads are too Small for their Brains.

That ,the Article goes onto say , many Dogs are Molded purely for their looks and success in the Show Ring.

I wonder what America will make of the PDE Program?
    NO Bet -- this was the question. No one challenged you. You were asked a simple yes or no question.

"Bet, would [SIZE=4]you[/SIZE] like it if EVERYONE stopped breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels? One word answer, please, “Yes” or “No”". You answered YES and now everything makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven View Post
    NO Bet -- this was the question.

"Bet, would [SIZE=4]you[/SIZE] like it if EVERYONE stopped breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels? One word answer, please, “Yes” or “No”". You answered YES and now everything makes sense.
    This is really unfair.

Bet answered.....definitely YES, if the Cavalier Breeders are not prepared to carry out Health Tests for SM and MVD.

Nobody has the right to demand that anyone answer a question on a complex situation in one word.

I think that my answer would probably be the same if breeders were content to carry on breeding cavaliers that would suffer.
    Last edited by Margaret C; 5th November 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    This is really unfair.

Bet answered.....definitely YES, if the Cavalier Breeders are not prepared to carry out Health Tests for SM and MVD.

Nobody has the right to demand that anyone answer a question on a complex situation in one word.

I think that my answer would probably be the same if breeders were content to carry on breeding cavaliers that would suffer.
    It was a simple question-- yes or no. Her answer should have been no (unless she WANTS cavaliers to become extinct). I knew she'd not be able to answer the question.

No one demanded she answer the question either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default DOG WORLD and APGAW REPORT.

Karlin ,

So sorry about this , when there are such important things happening in the Cavalier World today.

I have already answered their question.

It's a bit like the one asked of a Husband , have you stopped beating your Wife.

If he says NO ,then he must be Beating his Wife, if he answers Yes ,he must have been beating her at one time.

What Childish Antics some Cavalier Folk are getting up to.

Wonder whose great Intellect thought up this Pearl of Wisdom as a Question.

If you have not understood my Reply , I can't make it any Plainer, just read my Previous Post.

You are really making yourselves appear so very Foolish.

As I said at the beginning ,Karlin ,I am so sorry dragging your List into this Pettiness ,but I won't be answering again, I just have far more important things to do with my Time , than waste it answering such Futitle and Childish Questions. !
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default DOG WORLD and APGAW REPORT.

I was'nt going to be drawn into any further Arguments ,but this is just say one of the Reasons I did'nt go and see the Cavaliers at the Scottish Championship Show at Lanark a few weeks ago, was, I still have have tears when I see Cavaliers, and it all comes back to me the the Heart Ache we had when some of our Cherished Cavaliers died at a young age because of their Heart Condition,

Ailsa ,7

Sharri 8

Cindy Lou.8

Sweep 4
    Koko 9.
    Becky 9 Epilepsy.

Yes we have the Memories of our Cherished Mags, who lived to 15,

I will need to stop now ,thinking about all those Belove Cavaliers are making me cry again.

There is a saying from Rudyard Kipling, it goes some-thing like this,

"SISTERS and BROTHERS BEWARE ,

WHEN YOU LET A DOG INTO YOUR HEART TO TEAR."

I sure know what he meant.

Norma Inglis has commented about other Folk going to see Cavaliers and they don't have any now, I am not like that ,still can't bear to see them far less give them a wee Pat.

Why I still am so involved in the Health Of the Cavalier Breed ,is that I hope in a wee way ,by saying Cavalier Breeders should always Health Test their Cavaliers before Breedingfrom them, that other Cavalier Pet Owners won't have the Tears we have had.because of the ill health of their Cavalier Pets.
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Unwarranted Personal Abuse

I have been the target of Bet's campaigning zeal. She was very tenacious and what she said about me at the time was very unfair.
    In those days I seldomed answered Bet, for me that seemed the best thing to do.

We have talked about it since, and I'm glad to say we have resolved the issues between us.

I am all for frank & free discussion, and I can get as heated as anybody else, but I find the cold blooded mockery and sneering that Bet is being subjected to on CavalierChat forum completely abhorrent.
    How does this advance anybody's argument or point of view?
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Dog World and APGAW Report.

Just a thought .

I have been reading through the APGAW Report again , I know I wrote to the APGAW Committee, when I mentioned the serious plight of our Cavaliers because of the MVD Problem afflicting the Breed, I mentioned my thought that before Cavalier Champions are made up to be Champions they should be Health Tested .

I know that there are others in the Dog World Scene of the same opinion.

I wonder if the APGAW Committee have had a think about this ,since this is one of their Recommendations.

It could be quite easily done , the Cavalier Owners only have to have the current Heart and MRI Scan Certificates with them at Cavalier Championship Shows

It will be interesting to see if Professor Sir P Bateson has similar thoughts on this subject, I'd also written to his Committee mentioning this.
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Bet I would just like to say that although I am just starting to learn about SM and everything that comes with it I think that what you have been saying is very sensible and I don't understand why people are disagreeing with you. Only allowing Cavaliers that do not have SM or other serious health issues be champions sounds like a great idea to me!
    Kimberly

Little girl Bailey 5 years old
    Little boy Dylan 4 years old