Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neurologist in Glasgow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neurologist in Glasgow? *UPDATE*

I have been worried for a while now that my Bailey has SM. She has the symptoms like scratching, rubbing her face against the floor, rubbing her body against the sofa when I put her harness on and she hates being rolled over onto her back as it seems to hurt her back legs.

Anyway I would like to get an MRI scan to find out one way or another but don't really know how to go about it. My vet doesn't seem very knowledgeable about SM. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place near Glasgow that I could take her?
    Last edited by kimy27; 16th November 2009 at 08:08 PM.
    Kimberly

Little girl Bailey 5 years old
    Little boy Dylan 4 years old

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know but I'm sure someone else can help you out with that info soon. I just wanted to send a while you wait. Oh, thinking about it, you need a referral from your vet so I would go there first. The vet should know the nearest Neuro to you.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how helpful this link is .......

http://www.gla.ac.uk/faculties/vet/s...neurologyteam/

but if it is not too far to travel I can definitely recommend ....
    http://www.wear-referrals.co.uk/ the set up is extremely good and very up to date and the Neurologist Gerard te Lintelo couldn't have been kinder and more helpful. He has done subsidised scanning for the Clubs and forwards results to Claire Rusbridge for interpretation.

Connel, Argyll And Bute, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend asking your vet for a referral to Glasgow Vet School.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I will make an appointment with the vet and try to get a referral. Do you have an idea of what it might cost for the MRI? I am assuming I won't be able to claim it on her insurance.
    Kimberly

Little girl Bailey 5 years old
    Little boy Dylan 4 years old

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should be able to claim for it as long as your dog wasn't showing symptoms before your insurance started.

Last time I went, an MRI plus consult was about 1600.

Glasgow are excellent, very up to date on treatments etc, and they ave wonderful with the dogs.

They have a mobile scanner visit, it was on a Tuesday, so usually book the consult for a Monday and keep the dog overnight.

Your vet has to refer you - look at http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/ for information to print off for them.

I hope that it isn't SM, but please keep us posted.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nicki,
    I have not been to Glasgow Vet School for an MRI (and I live 17 miles from Glasgow). My reasons for same would be that a mobile scanner, although perfectly adequate for most things, would not satisfy me so far as required detail is concerned for an MRI for SM.
    Also, I would be pleased to hear who the Resident neurologist is there.
    Could/would this person be able to discuss MRI findings with a client, as I feel this is imperative when considering an appointment of such importance?

Taking these things into account, I have always preferred to go to a Centre where I can have access to required info, on the spot, as it were, and in the knowledge that the scanner used was right for the job in hand.

Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been told that the scans I've had done are some of the clearest people have seen. Clare Rusbridge was very impressed with the quality of the images.

You pay for a consultation and diagnostic testing - this is an extensive consultation; you then have a further consult following the MRI with the neurologist, where things are fully explained.

This is NOT part of the low cost breeder scheme, you are getting a full body scan, a full consult and examination.

Quote from their website:

The Neurology / Neurosurgery Service of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Glasgow, is one of the busiest clinics in the Small Animal Hospital and one of the largest neurology clinics in Europe. We accept referral cases from and provide telephone advice to veterinary surgeons over the entire UK and abroad. The staff of the Neurology / Neurosurgery clinic include Diplomates and Residents of the European College of Veterinary Neurology (ECVN).

Neurology team

The low cost breeder scheme is NOT for diagnostic purposes - you do not normally receive a consult on the cheap days.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Right Nicki,
    I am impressed with the qualifications of the team Leader, even tho' he is 'only a boy'.LOL!
    I am glad that the quality of scans is good. This is not always the case when using a mobile unit. Also , it always seems strange to me that Glasgow has never had its own scanner? Last time I asked my Vet, it did not even have a Neuro - that was 5 years ago.
    I guess with the new buildings going up as we speak, things are in for a change?
    Hopefully a scanner of their own will be part of that. Hard to envisage how a Neuro team could operate successfully without one?
    I suppose we, in the West have got so used to using the Royal Dick in Edinburgh for most things, while Glasgow waited for its new school.
    Good to know that could be about to change!
    Anyway, 1600 is a lot of money to pay for a scan/consult when there are Low Cost centres within reach of Glasgow (by car).
    Chestergates is 4 hoursfrom Glasgow and the one at Bishop Auckland perhaps 3 hours?
    At Chestergates you get a consult, not sure about the other one.
    GS will charge around 275(my last one) - a big difference if you are not insured.
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I understand Glasgow now has (I am told by another researcher) a state of the art scanner and Neurology department. I am sure anyone can feel full confidence in using this facility.

Also am told mobile units can themselves be far better than what some practices might have in a 'proper' neurology unit. The technology is always improving!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com