• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Neurologist in Glasgow?

kimy27

Neurologist in Glasgow? *UPDATE*

I have been worried for a while now that my Bailey has SM. She has the symptoms like scratching, rubbing her face against the floor, rubbing her body against the sofa when I put her harness on and she hates being rolled over onto her back as it seems to hurt her back legs.

Anyway I would like to get an MRI scan to find out one way or another but don't really know how to go about it. My vet doesn't seem very knowledgeable about SM. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place near Glasgow that I could take her?

Last edited:
I don't know but I'm sure someone else can help you out with that info soon. I just wanted to send a :hug: while you wait. Oh, thinking about it, you need a referral from your vet so I would go there first. The vet should know the nearest Neuro to you.

Thanks guys, I will make an appointment with the vet and try to get a referral. Do you have an idea of what it might cost for the MRI? I am assuming I won't be able to claim it on her insurance.

You should be able to claim for it as long as your dog wasn't showing symptoms before your insurance started.

Last time I went, an MRI plus consult was about £1600.

Glasgow are excellent, very up to date on treatments etc, and they ave wonderful with the dogs.

They have a mobile scanner visit, it was on a Tuesday, so usually book the consult for a Monday and keep the dog overnight.

Your vet has to refer you - look at http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/ for information to print off for them.

I hope that it isn't SM, but please keep us posted.

Nicki,
I have not been to Glasgow Vet School for an MRI (and I live 17 miles from Glasgow). My reasons for same would be that a mobile scanner, although perfectly adequate for most things, would not satisfy me so far as required detail is concerned for an MRI for SM.
Also, I would be pleased to hear who the Resident neurologist is there.
Could/would this person be able to discuss MRI findings with a client, as I feel this is imperative when considering an appointment of such importance?

Taking these things into account, I have always preferred to go to a Centre where I can have access to required info, on the spot, as it were, and in the knowledge that the scanner used was right for the job in hand.

Elspeth

I have been told that the scans I've had done are some of the clearest people have seen. Clare Rusbridge was very impressed with the quality of the images.

You pay for a consultation and diagnostic testing - this is an extensive consultation; you then have a further consult following the MRI with the neurologist, where things are fully explained.

This is NOT part of the low cost breeder scheme, you are getting a full body scan, a full consult and examination.

Quote from their website:

The Neurology / Neurosurgery Service of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Glasgow, is one of the busiest clinics in the Small Animal Hospital and one of the largest neurology clinics in Europe. We accept referral cases from and provide telephone advice to veterinary surgeons over the entire UK and abroad. The staff of the Neurology / Neurosurgery clinic include Diplomates and Residents of the European College of Veterinary Neurology (ECVN).

Neurology team

The low cost breeder scheme is NOT for diagnostic purposes - you do not normally receive a consult on the cheap days.

Right Nicki,
I am impressed with the qualifications of the team Leader, even tho' he is 'only a boy'.LOL!
I am glad that the quality of scans is good. This is not always the case when using a mobile unit. Also , it always seems strange to me that Glasgow has never had its own scanner? Last time I asked my Vet, it did not even have a Neuro - that was 5 years ago.
I guess with the new buildings going up as we speak, things are in for a change?
Hopefully a scanner of their own will be part of that. Hard to envisage how a Neuro team could operate successfully without one?
I suppose we, in the West have got so used to using the Royal Dick in Edinburgh for most things, while Glasgow waited for its new school.
Good to know that could be about to change!
Anyway, £1600 is a lot of money to pay for a scan/consult when there are Low Cost centres within reach of Glasgow (by car).
Chestergates is 4 hoursfrom Glasgow and the one at Bishop Auckland perhaps 3 hours?
At Chestergates you get a consult, not sure about the other one.
GS will charge around £275(my last one) - a big difference if you are not insured.
Elspeth

I understand Glasgow now has (I am told by another researcher) a state of the art scanner and Neurology department. I am sure anyone can feel full confidence in using this facility. :)

Also am told mobile units can themselves be far better than what some practices might have in a 'proper' neurology unit. The technology is always improving! :biggrin:

I had my boy entered for a low cost scan at Bishop Auckland recently but was told by the Neuro himself that it did not involve a consult. The situation then changed into an emergency and we had a full body scan and consult which came to £1500.

I definately cannot afford to pay £1600 for the scan. I could probably afford about £300. I think my best bet would be to get refered to one of the low cost MRI centres and take her down on the train.

The low cost scan services are for breeders - they are NOT for diagnostic purposes.

Will your insurance not cover this?

Glad to hear that Glasgow have their own scanner now - that's a very recent deveopment, I was down there earlier this year...

I borrowed the money for our diagnosis- it was just under £1300 at Stone Lion with Clare. Full body scan with consultation and feedback after. I sent the claim form in the next day and had it paid in full with in 2 weeks.
So I paid back what I borrowed no problem. as long as you are insured you will be fine they will pay out but get yourself on life cover right away or come next year they wont cover any re scans or medication for the SM if it is that!!

Problem with going on train- the dog needs to be sedated or aneathetised (spelling??) and im not sure train is practical in this situation.

The low cost scan services are for breeders - they are NOT for diagnostic purposes.

GS will scan for diagnosis at Chestergates. Cost around £300.My vet asked me to check as she wanted to refer a client. He was happy to do it.
Elspeth

A £300 scan would only be head and neck, it's might diagnose SM but it wouldn't show up a syrinx further down the spine. You really need the full scan in this case. I think all of us with insurance have had this paid, as long as the vet referred us.

A £300 scan would only be head and neck, it's might diagnose SM but it wouldn't show up a syrinx further down the spine. You really need the full scan in this case. I think all of us with insurance have had this paid, as long as the vet referred us.

Bailey has pretty good insurance (M&S) so I should be able to claim. Out of interest do you think if I claim on her insurance the premiums will go up next year? I only ask because I'm already paying £20 a month.

Does Geoff Skerritt do a full consultation with neurological examination for £300? This wasn't the case when I last contacted him...he was more expensive than Clare Rusbridge...

I'm sorry but I am dubious about this - a full neurological work up {I was in for the best part of an hour} and full body scan is necessary in these cases, not just a mini scan and a quick chat.

M&S will cover the scan as long as there is nothing on the vets records to show evidence of symptoms prior to commencement of the insurance. Glasgow ask you to provide evidence of insurance, you have to pay for the consultation at the time - about £150 - £170, but they claim for the cost of the scan direct from the insurance.

I had my boy entered for a low cost scan at Bishop Auckland recently but was told by the Neuro himself that it did not involve a consult. The situation then changed into an emergency and we had a full body scan and consult which came to £1500.

So sorry to hear this Ruth - is he ok now?

Not sure what you mean by a 'full consult'. Can't see it taking an hour for that?
There is no full body scan done for the £300, but, if a dog is symptomatic, it is odds on that any syrinx in the lumbar region(not visible in a mini-scan) will be replicated in the Caudal area - Clare's opinion, not mine. I have only known of 2 symptomatic dogs whose syrinxes began in the lumbar region.
Any of mine who came up with a syrinx were easily diagnosed by the Mini-scan.
If a mini-scan came up with no syrinxes, and there were syrinxes further down, and so not detected, then a full body scan would be on the cards.
I have never had to have a full scan done on a symptomatic dog.
Not trying to be argumentative Nicki - just more financially practical when you are only looking for an initial diagnosis.
Don't need a sledge-hammer to crack a nut.
Elspeth

Back