Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neurologist in Glasgow?

Post Thanks / Like

I had my boy entered for a low cost scan at Bishop Auckland recently but was told by the Neuro himself that it did not involve a consult. The situation then changed into an emergency and we had a full body scan and consult which came to 1500.

Post Thanks / Like

I definately cannot afford to pay 1600 for the scan. I could probably afford about 300. I think my best bet would be to get refered to one of the low cost MRI centres and take her down on the train.
    Kimberly

Little girl Bailey 5 years old
    Little boy Dylan 4 years old

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The low cost scan services are for breeders - they are NOT for diagnostic purposes.

Will your insurance not cover this?

Glad to hear that Glasgow have their own scanner now - that's a very recent deveopment, I was down there earlier this year...
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I borrowed the money for our diagnosis- it was just under 1300 at Stone Lion with Clare. Full body scan with consultation and feedback after. I sent the claim form in the next day and had it paid in full with in 2 weeks.
    So I paid back what I borrowed no problem. as long as you are insured you will be fine they will pay out but get yourself on life cover right away or come next year they wont cover any re scans or medication for the SM if it is that!!

Problem with going on train- the dog needs to be sedated or aneathetised (spelling??) and im not sure train is practical in this situation.

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Nicki;341838]The low cost scan services are for breeders - they are NOT for diagnostic purposes.

GS will scan for diagnosis at Chestergates. Cost around 300.My vet asked me to check as she wanted to refer a client. He was happy to do it.
    Elspeth

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

A 300 scan would only be head and neck, it's might diagnose SM but it wouldn't show up a syrinx further down the spine. You really need the full scan in this case. I think all of us with insurance have had this paid, as long as the vet referred us.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Pauline* View Post
    A 300 scan would only be head and neck, it's might diagnose SM but it wouldn't show up a syrinx further down the spine. You really need the full scan in this case. I think all of us with insurance have had this paid, as long as the vet referred us.
    Bailey has pretty good insurance (M&S) so I should be able to claim. Out of interest do you think if I claim on her insurance the premiums will go up next year? I only ask because I'm already paying 20 a month.
    Kimberly

Little girl Bailey 5 years old
    Little boy Dylan 4 years old

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Does Geoff Skerritt do a full consultation with neurological examination for 300? This wasn't the case when I last contacted him...he was more expensive than Clare Rusbridge...

I'm sorry but I am dubious about this - a full neurological work up {I was in for the best part of an hour} and full body scan is necessary in these cases, not just a mini scan and a quick chat.

M&S will cover the scan as long as there is nothing on the vets records to show evidence of symptoms prior to commencement of the insurance. Glasgow ask you to provide evidence of insurance, you have to pay for the consultation at the time - about 150 - 170, but they claim for the cost of the scan direct from the insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    I had my boy entered for a low cost scan at Bishop Auckland recently but was told by the Neuro himself that it did not involve a consult. The situation then changed into an emergency and we had a full body scan and consult which came to 1500.

So sorry to hear this Ruth - is he ok now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure what you mean by a 'full consult'. Can't see it taking an hour for that?
    There is no full body scan done for the 300, but, if a dog is symptomatic, it is odds on that any syrinx in the lumbar region(not visible in a mini-scan) will be replicated in the Caudal area - Clare's opinion, not mine. I have only known of 2 symptomatic dogs whose syrinxes began in the lumbar region.
    Any of mine who came up with a syrinx were easily diagnosed by the Mini-scan.
    If a mini-scan came up with no syrinxes, and there were syrinxes further down, and so not detected, then a full body scan would be on the cards.
    I have never had to have a full scan done on a symptomatic dog.
    Not trying to be argumentative Nicki - just more financially practical when you are only looking for an initial diagnosis.
    Don't need a sledge-hammer to crack a nut.
    Elspeth