• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Verbal bullying is not a joke.

Margaret C

I have spoken before about the spiteful name calling that some of the the CavalierChat members indulge in.
It seems that the moderators are not prepared to try and rein in certain members.

Robust debate is one thing, but there is no exploring of issues in what is being written, just verbal bullying.

A few months ago someone choose to issue an invitation to me......
"you could bring along your broomstick"

She has now posted on that forum..............
"I think Margaret C should consider a new 'familiar'. The present one is an embarrassment (ok, this is a joke.You know something not to be taken seriously.>bg) Hang on, I think I may just have described BH?"

Libellous comment is never a joke.

I have decided I will not ignore these comments any more. This is on a cavalier breeders forum, we are both Cavalier Club members and so I will be putting in a complaint to the UK Cavalier Club.

Bet, you are also a Cavalier Club Member, I suggest you print off the very nasty personal comments published by the small group of CavalierChat members that have been so very rude to you, and send in a complaint

Last edited:
There are certainly a few people on that forum who worry themselves into fits over Bet. It is interesting that the moderators aren't warning them about their behavior. It is very specific in their rules about not flaming.

I find these kinds of postings childish and very boorish. They certainly don't show these people in the best of light.
J.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!

What in the world is going on? Why do people fail to realize that they should be grateful to these people who have been working and taking their time, money and energy to try to protect Cavaliers who, after all, are living beings with feelings and the right to lives free of inherited disease. I have no way of understanding this. If I had or was the carrier of a serious genetic disease, would these same people be saying that I should be having children who would likely suffer?

I have never read ONE THING that even hints that Margaret or Bet are trying to do anything now other than protect Cavaliers and their owners. Are these poor dogs just a commodity to be bred for the glory of people? How can people who are trying their hardest to protect people and animals from suffering be vilified? What kind of person would do that? By calling people ugly names and distorting their motives, they are showing that Cavaliers as living and breathing beings do not really matter to them at all.

I (fortunately) was never exposed to this kind of behavior before I got my poor little dog with SM. I am appalled. I did not think adults who present themselves as educated and civilized would ever act this way. I would love to hear an explanation or some attempt at justification for how these people are treating both of you and also anybody else who is simply trying to do what is honest and right.

Kathy

Explanation asked for.....

I have asked Mr Mynott to explain what is happening to his Forum.

My post is self explanatory ?

Mark Marshall.

Sticks and stones......they are the ignorant ones,who cant have a normal GROWN UP discussion without name calling,rise above.They are just soooo thick,they cant find the words other than childish slants,GO GIRL.........

Sticks and stones......they are the ignorant ones,who cant have a normal GROWN UP discussion without name calling,rise above.They are just soooo thick,they cant find the words other than childish slants,GO GIRL.........

Hang on - isn't your statement about them being 'thick' just falling into the same trap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Verbal Bullying is Not a Joke.

Thanks Folks for your Shoulders ,Margaret ,I did'nt know I could complain to the UK CKCS CLUB, I had already Printed the Worst of the Abusive Comments off.

To-day they will be winging their way to the UK CKCS CLUB Committee.

I will not be giving them the satisfaction of replying to the Vociferious Few on their comments to me any more ,I am not going to be reading the Cavalier Chat List.

I have only been saying for the Past couple of years ,that I feel ,in my opinion ,how the Cavaliers have altered.

Smaller Heads, Shorter Legs, Longer Backs.

Whether this has anything to do with the Cavaliers and their SM Problem , I just don't know.

This week as a Result of the APGAW Report ,the News Papers here in Britain, have latched onto the Fact and Printed about the poor wee Cavalier writhing in Agony because of SM ,and the Papers have said this is because the Cavaliers have been Bred with Heads so Small ,the Brain outgrows the Skull.

How this can be over-come I just don't know ,.

There are now so many Cavaliers around to-day with Small Heads,I have read it described as the Modern Look.

As I have mentioned ,the Cavaliers ,in the 1930's ,in order to get the Flat Type of Head required for the Cavalier Breed ,the Dome Shape of the King Charles Spaniel was altered ,

Is the Malformed Bone that so many Cavaliers have to-day, I believe it's about 90%,a result of what happened in the 1930's.

Then because the Cavalier Breeders in the late 1980's , and early 1990's, seemed to have started to alter the Shape of the Cavaliers' Head again was this the reason for SM making it's appearance in Cavaliers. .

I had sent Dr I Mc Gonnell ,who is researching the Fetus Research at the Moment, Photos of Present Day Cavaliers and Photos of the Older Type Heads of Cavaliers ,to compare them.

I had word back from here saying that maybe there could be a Link somewhere .but she didnt know.

Also Dr C Rusbridge has recently put on her Neurological Web Site about the Minaturization of Cavaliers.

Is it possible that ,for the Cavalier Breed ,this perhaps could be a Link with their SM Disease.

I read in Professor Sir P Bateson's initial Report ,his mention about our Cavalier Breed and their SM Problem .So it is causing concern every where .

I do think that ,because the SM Problem could be so wide-spread in Cavaliers, and it might be a while before the CM/SM Genes are found, that the only course open to Cavalier Breeders is to MRI Scan their Breeding Stock to find out if there is a Syrinx Present.

Unfortunately ,it might be too late now, since there are so many Cavaliers with Smaller Heads,if this could be Link with SM, that it's possible there will be many many Cavalier Carriers of the CM/SM Genes.

I really do think that the Cavalier Breed is in Dire Straits at the moment, will it ever recover , only time will tell .

Just to say,i emailed some one selling Cavs and asked all the questions,there web and advert stated...That all their dogs were health checked,certs provided etc etc,i was quietly impressed,so when i recieved their email back,it was abusive and they were telling me i was being some kind of smart a..e.They are based here and have this fancy web site,well i was shocked.So i emailed back saying....With that att.you have said it all.They denied any health issues with the breed etc etc.I would love to tell who they are but cant.

I have asked Mr Mynott to explain what is happening to his Forum
I'm sure he must be wondering himself....
Having created a potentially excellent site where the positive aspects of the cavalier breed could be celebrated and promoted,it seems the whole thing has descended into a disgraceful debacle and become a PR disaster.
I think any breeder has a right to defend themselves robustly,especially if they feel that they are being unfairly criticised,but how the situation is handled is important,it can either deal with the situation effectively or backfire spectacularly.
Surely in a week where APGAW have made some very strong recommendations,Bateson around the corner and the Kennel Club under enough pressure to cause an tsunami,every cavalier breeder should have more pressing issues than Bet Hargreaves on their mind.
Instead what you see is utter rubbish on a forum,the kind of bitchy nonesense that you find on your daughter's BEBO page....the kind of nonesense that you'd administer a swift clip round the ear to sort out.
It's not what you expect from mature responsible adults,that's for sure.
Certainly not what you'd expect from experienced professional breeders who carry our hopes to restore an ailing breed to full health.
Sheila Atter's column in Dogworld,"The perils of unguarded comments becoming public" is worth a read.
In a moment of frustration a barbed unguarded comment flies,common sense and decorum fly out the window and what you see is an undignified scramble to hurl personal insults.All this reflects badly on breeders as a unit.
It detracts from all the good work being done by a core of dedicated breeders,It overshadows all the positive aspects of the forum,it harms the reputation of breeders because in the first couple of pages of threads what you read is personal attacks on fellow breeders,Judges criticising judges,highlighting of "dubious breeding practices",abusers of hospitality,animal welfare issues with breeders,breeders ridiculing bereaved pet owners.
This folks is the image projected to the outside world and it's not good!
Bet Hargreaves doesn't want to see the end of cavaliers,anyone who can come to that conclusion is either soft in the head or a mischief maker...maybe both??
Bet's a bit like the aracde game where you get a mallet and a mole pops up from a hole and you bash it on the head,only to have it emerge through another hole to be bashed again,and you end up walloping left right and centre and all the time it'll keep popping up until you get driven to distraction and perhaps do yourself an injury.:p*(No offence Bet.)
Pleeease can we leave all this embarrassing beboesque nonesense and put it to rest and get back to talking about cavaliers?There's so much more interesting and attractive than people?
Sins

Verbal Bullying is not a Joke.

I have just sent a Formal Complant to the UK CKCS CLUB Committee , against another Club Member ,because of my State of Mind being called into question on a Public Forum on the Internet.

sins - very well said. I am always perplexed to see people using the internet to say things "I" at least would never say in a public place. Many more people read than post I would suspect and what someone posts does reflect on them for better or for worse.

Yep agree with the above,its so easy to write something nasty and have no bad feelings about it,whenyour sitting and writing some folks forget there is a nother human being at the other end.

I agree, stripping a person of their dignity,reducing them to tears is not something to be admired,although clearly some people have a different point of view.Oddly enough,the main protagonists seem to happily battle away but it's often the peripheral parties who have nothing whatsoever to do with the issue who stick their oar in who do the real damage and then wander off washing their hands of any responsibility...
If any of their children were subjected to that treatment on Bebo,they wouldn't consider it so amusing....they'd be down the local police station making a formal complaint.
Sins

For those who dont access c.c i have posted saying " what on earth is the point of this nasty name calling etc, what they should be concentrating on is sorting out the health issues and putting good breeding practices into force. Who did what to whom or said what when and why and how is all matter of fact and is not helping at all.
someone did reply but i couldnt really be bothered to read it.

I

If any of their children were subjected to that treatment on Bebo,they wouldn't consider it so amusing....they'd be down the local police station making a formal complaint.
Sins

And they still dont seem to realise why their nickname is The Nasties!:lol:

And they still dont seem to realise why their nickname is The Nasties!:lol:

I'm not sticking up for either side here - but .......Why is it that you can call people names, and yet don't like it when they do the same??????????

Sorry but I think it's time to stop all this once and for all - it will get everyone nowhere at all!

Last edited:
Back