Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to euthanise/put to sleep?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your right, i know. I guess I was just expecting something more like I see on the videos with them yelping uncontrolably. I think he just deals with it differently.

Post Thanks / Like

They do deal with pain very well ben, its all about quality of life, and if you are sure there is not going to be any improvement it does sound as if he really has had enough, but you are the only one who can make the choices on his behalf you know him best. di
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Could we change this Thread ,to Put To Sleep.

Hope you will , Thanks.
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

My heart is breaking reading through your post about Ben, and I can't imagine what you must be going through.
    I don't have any words of advise, but just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you at this terrible time, and I hope you can come to a decision on whats best for Ben soon.
    My Mum had to have her dog PTS only a few weeks ago and she faced the same dilemma. After she had let him go, I printed off some pieces from the Library on 'When is it time to say goodbye' http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8819, and I think it helped to give her some peace of mind.
    Will be thinking of you, gentle hugs to Ben
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so so so sorry you're going through this. What a hard choice you must make. I think you know in your heart that it is the right time; otherwise I don't think you would have asked.

I went through this last year and by the time I posted here asking "how do I know"...I already knew it was time. I tried once, and decided against it once I got to the vet's office, thinking "oh, she's good today! Maybe it was just a phase! Thank Goodness!" . However, I was back 3 days later and I should have just done it the first time. She had a terrible morning that 3rd day and I wish I wouldn't have made her go through it.

Big hugs to you. It will be so hard, but Ben will thank you for it. If he is not sleeping and moaning through the night, he really is in a lot of pain.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ashlee; I've just read your sad posting.

Like several of the other postings, I would recommend either quick surgery if vet can convince you that Ben will be much better. If not, I would put him to sleep. Our last golden retriever was slowly dying from kidney failure. I convinced myself that as long as she was eating she was okay. Well, she kept eating to the end but the last night her back legs, kidneys and colon gave up. I wished that I hadn't waited those few extra days. She didn't complain but I know that she must have been in pain.

Having been there several times I wish you peace with your decision.

Heather R

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know this is so very hard Ashlee - I've had to make this decision three times in a year recently, all Cavaliers - and I'm still trying to get myself back together. BUT you have to do what is right for them...or you will always feel bad, and I'd hate for that to happen.

You might want to look at this http://www.naturescornermagazine.com...ompanions.html

Coud you possibly take a day or so off work - I really don't feel it's fair to leave a dog in such severe pain for this long.

I have neuropathic pain - it is the most excruciating pain you can imagine, and I know that our beloved companions must suffer terribly sometimes. Sadly they are very good at hiding their pain, but we have to be aware of that.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you......
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry you are having to make this choice- I think about it every day how I will cope but deep down I know that Ruby deserves more.
    They give us so much in their lives and in the end all we can do is help them pass peacefully and with their loved ones x

You are both in my thoughts

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

Our thoughts are with you.
    Kathleen
    Thomas (tri-colour) & Jade (blenheim) waiting at the Bridge