• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pain struggles

Benjamin4

I'm new to the forum. My cavalier, Ben, was diagnosed with SM about three weeks ago. We went to a neurologist after our regular veterinarian felt overwhelmed with his symptoms which have gotten worse over the last few months. Ben has full facial paralysis on the right side, partial on the left, he has a head tilt to the left and when he walks he angles himself to the left. He tries to scratch and rub his neck area frequently especially at night. He doesn't sleep much anymore. He just lies there with his eyes open. He stares into corners, cant eat without his bowl raised off the floor, and has been whining all the time.

Ben is on or has tried all the pain medications recommended for SM. We tried putting him on lasix but he was to sensitive to it. We're trying pred now. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm a veterinary technician and I see people every day letting their pets suffer because they don't want to let go. SM is so difficult to deal with...I don't know how much suffering/pain is to much.

I'm so happy to have found other people dealing with SM in their cavaliers. I was hoping someone might have some advise for me.

-Ashlee

I have nothing to say constructive, other that there are lots of us how share your anguish. You are a little desensitied to other peoples pets, it comes with the job, but it is so hard with your own. All I can do is offer you a 'ear' and an 'shoulder', as I have found that helpfully whilst I worry over my Todo. Hang in there

Hi Ashlee, welcome to the forum and I am sorry poor little Ben is suffering, it must be heartbreaking to watch this. I am not experienced enough to offer you advice. I am at a much earlier stage of dealing with sm. You will find a lot of help and support here. My thoughts and prayers are with Ben.

Hi Ashlee. So sorry that you and Ben are going through this heartbreaking situation. I've no experience with SM, but wanted to say am thinking of you both and sending gentle hugs. :hug:.

Hi Ashlee, so sorry you're going through this, you are obvously exploring every avenue to improve Ben's quality of life.

Does Ben have much quality of life? reason I ask is you mention "He doesn't sleep much anymore" and he is "whining all the time".

Best wishes,

Claire

Ben, was your boy diagnosed by MRI scan? It's just that I have just lost a cavalier with very similar symptoms to what you describe.
Last year we went through a facial paralysis, then in the spring of this year he began stumbling to one side when walking - he would fall on his face, he couldn't cope with heat and he scratched too. Suspecting SM or at the very least some kind of brain problem we scheduled for an MRI scan. This had to brought forward as an emergency when he suffered a very bad seizure when we were on holiday (very similar to vestibular syndrome which I had seen before). He was hospitalized for four days and with meds recovered enough to go for an MRI scan where very sadly he was found to have a huge brain tumour. He was only 5 years old.

Just read your other post on this, I have to agree with Karlin, Gem and Sins, set him free, so very sorry.

I know many people think that veterinary professionals are " desensitized" because of our work but we are not. Veterinarians and veterinary technicians cry after euthanasia, we don't like to see animals in pain anymore than the owners, but we have to be strong and put our emotions to the side so we can function and help the animal. What would you do if your veterinarians was a blubbering ball of emotions...could she help you? At the end of the day all we see makes us sad or happy depending on the out come. We grieve and we rejoice but it is our job to do so after we have done what we can for the patient. We cant cry during surgery or while talking to owners.

Pain Struggles.

Ashlee ,

As the others have said ,maybe it's time to bite the bullett and let Ben go.

This one thing we can't do for Human's ,but for our Cherished Pets ,we can.

hello, I apologies if you miss understood my meaning of my posting, I probably didn't put it across too well. What I really mean't to say is because you deal with this horrible situation through your normal day at work, you should not feel obligated to act differently when you are faced with the same problems all pet owners have to face one day. You will know when you know what you have to do, be honest with yourself, thoughts and good wishes to you all

Back