• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Overweight Ruby

When i was getting Stitch groomed yesterday they weighed him and said he is overweight at 8kg....at least I am sure she said kg but reading this post 8kg seems to be alright?!? they told me that he should lose 1.5kg and then he will have less risk of health problems - He does look very tubby. I have been feeding him 50gm in the morning and 100gm in the evening...compared to what some people have said here that even sounds too much? should I reduce it to 50 and 50???

Maddie's a small cavalier, and currently weighs 7.5 Kg. This is at the top end of her ideal weight range (7Kg being the lowest, any less and she's underweight), any more and she would be definitely getting fat.
Pippin's a bigger dog and his ideal weight for his frame is 9 Kg. So a big :oops: for us yesterday when I weighed him and found he now weighs 10.5Kg.:eek: So that's his food cut down. To be fair, I don't think we'd realised just quite how much effect on their exercise levels my accident before Christmas had, and we were still feeding them the same amount. Now I'm getting more mobile the walks are increasing, and with the reduction in food the weight should come off nicely.:xfngr:

Having read all these posts, I was just wondering, is there such a thing as a doggy BMI ?? I know that there are guidelines etc, but there are naturally small and naturally big cavaliers out there. I also know that you can tell your dog is overweight if you can't see its waist, but maybe there is a more scientific way of checking that applies regardless of whether you have a small or large dog?

Pippin weight update

I'm pleased to report that I weighed both dogs again this morning, and Pippin has lost 0.45 Kg (about a pound for those that like imperial weights) so is about 1/3 of the way to being back to the lean fit dog he should be.(y):wggle::wggle:. I'll carry on what I'm doing and see how he goes.

Maddie has stayed the same, which is what I was aiming for, so we obviously have her food/ exercise balance right at present.

Back