• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just not getting any bigger!!

Karen and Ruby

Hi all

As most of you know Charlie was rescued in a very underweight state and we have had him for just over 2 months now.
We have been feeding him Burns Mini Bites at 100g a day and 1 pouch of James Wellbeloved Puppy wet food a day.
These are divided in to 3 meals a day.

I was expecting him to have put on weight but he just isnt- should I up the food?? He is very active and always on the go.

Thanks in advance x

Has he been dewormed recently? rounds and tapes?
That sounds like a lot of food and you made it sound like he was eating it-- so you have to wonder what his body is doing with all those calories.
Hyperthyroid is VERY rare in dogs. Hopefully someone will have an idea for you..

He was wormed with Drontol when he came home and again with Advocat a couple of weeks ago as Ruby had suspected mange at the time (thankfully it wasnt)

And yes he does eat the majority of it- occasionally he will only want 2 meals.
Do you think its the heart problem that is making the difference? He has been tested for Liver Shunt

He was wormed with Drontol when he came home and again with Advocat a couple of weeks ago as Ruby had suspected mange at the time (thankfully it wasnt)

And yes he does eat the majority of it- occasionally he will only want 2 meals.
Do you think its the heart problem that is making the difference? He has been tested for Liver Shunt

I can't find any connection between mitral valve dysplasia and the inability to gain weight.
All the symptoms of symptomatic m v dypsplasia have been decrease in energy, difficulties breathing, build up of fluids, arrhythmia, fainting--

I will keep looking..

Have you gone back to the vet? He may actually just be lean, not thin, which a vet can ascertain. :) That is a lot of food -- probably twice as much as I feed Jaspar who is also an active dog and weighs about 8kg.

He is probably ready to go to just two meals at this point, if he is beginning to leave the third meal.

Back