• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hernia?

maguire

hi all. took cooper to the vet for his shots and health check a week ago. she found a hernia just where is rib cage ends, a little hard bump but she was not overly worried and said to keep an eye on it that it does not change or get bigger. she advised us strongly to get him neutered and when the time comes she will also fix the hernia.
but today ive noticed a little soft squishy bump lower down on the tummy. it does not hurt him when i touch it at all he doesnt even seem to know im doing it. so now it seems he has two hernia's? im wondering should i bring him back to the vet asap or wait a few day's to see if it changes also, does anyone else have or had experience with hernia's in their puppies?
thank you

Truman had an umbilical hernia. He was neutered at 18 months old and has the hernia removed during his neuter surgery. I think it was a very minor procedure (removing the hernia). His was a soft, fleshy bump about the size of a larger pea. His vet was aware of the hernia from the beginning and said there was not any reason to remove it prior to his neuter, even though I waited until he was a bit older to have him neutered.

Glad you posted this, Jessie has the same thing. She got her first jab and puppy check up 2 weeks ago and the vet said exactly the same thing. She said to keep an eye on it to make sure that it didn't grow and also if she ever start to vomit then I should get her checked. They said she would have it repaired when they neutered her. I'm keen to know what other cav owners think.

me too. well my vet didn't mention vomitting but actually cooper has been gagging a little lately he never throws up his meals or anything but yesterday he drank so much water in one go he brought it up again. very worrying. the vet told me the last time i had him in with her that i worry far too much about the dog, yet she never seems worried about anything. she was quite aloof and i found it a little insulting. still i cant help it. she will most likely tell me the same thing about this new bump and bill me again:bang:

Our Abigail had the same thing. The vet repaired it when she was spayed. It really was quite small. No problems before or after.

Heather R

Sometimes it goes away by the time the dog is the age to neuter. That is why they say to wait. These are very common in the breed. If they aren't diminished by the time the dog goes for a neuter then it should be repaired as they can pose a risk to the dog.

If there's a second squishy lump I would call the vet's office and ask for advice. This is always good advice if you have a question on a health issue -- a good vet's office will tell you whether it is something of concern. If the vet tech doesn't seem sure just ask to have your vet ring you when they are free.

PS if you don't like your vet, just change practices or see a different vet within the practice. I always ask for particular vets when I go for an appointment. (y) Vets charge because they are providing a service, like anyone with a job. No one would like it much of they were asked to do a few hours work each week for no pay! If anyone feels their vet is charging for things that don't need to be done, then surely there's a poor relationship and lack of communication there -- ask more questions, be sure you understand what is being done, and/or change vets. :)

Sometimes it goes away by the time the dog is the age to neuter. That is why they say to wait. These are very common in the breed. If they aren't diminished by the time the dog goes for a neuter then it should be repaired as they can pose a risk to the dog.

If there's a second squishy lump I would call the vet's office and ask for advice. This is always good advice if you have a question on a health issue -- a good vet's office will tell you whether it is something of concern. If the vet tech doesn't seem sure just ask to have your vet ring you when they are free.

PS if you don't like your vet, just change practices or see a different vet within the practice. I always ask for particular vets when I go for an appointment. (y) Vets charge because they are providing a service, like anyone with a job. No one would like it much of they were asked to do a few hours work each week for no pay! If anyone feels their vet is charging for things that don't need to be done, then surely there's a poor relationship and lack of communication there -- ask more questions, be sure you understand what is being done, and/or change vets. :)

thanks karlin, i did give them a call, they havent managed to get back to me today but ill contact again tomoro, will take your advice on board. she is a nice lady and im sure she is right i do stress over him perhaps a little too much. :thnku:

Back