• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Precautions during dentals for SM dogs?

Are there any special precautions that dogs with SM need during a dental? Winston is scheduled for one in a little over a week and since my regular vet has never seen a case of SM or COMS, I was wondering if I need to tell him anything that Winston might need in the way of special care. Thanks in advance!

Cathy

I don't let people touch Dylan's neck and Cathy Mood taught me how to pick Dylan up so as not to hurt him and keep his back straight. My concern would be them moving a sedated, floppy dog and not watching how they hold him.

I am sure they are pretty gentle but worth just asking to move him carefully. :) Leo needs a dental so will be going in sometime soon too.

Are there any special precautions that dogs with SM need during a dental? Winston is scheduled for one in a little over a week and since my regular vet has never seen a case of SM or COMS, I was wondering if I need to tell him anything that Winston might need in the way of special care. Thanks in advance!

Cathy

I would ask what gases they use for the anesthesia. Make sure they don't use Acepromazine (crosses the blood brain barrier).
I also put dogs on clindamycin before so that they bacteria doesn't harm the valves of the heart.

Back