Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spangle is not doing well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spangle is not doing well.

Spangle has had her medication increased to 100mg Gabapentin 4 x a day, 30mg of Codeine 4 x a day and one 5mg prednislone every other day.
    She had been gradually getting worse over a number of weeks so she started her new regime 2 weeks ago.
    Then a few days later, I took her to her groomers and had all her lovely coat cut very short as she seemed to be in some discomfort when being bathed and brushed so often after her walks.
    She behaved like a puppy (she is only 23 months old!), playing non stop, jumping around, just so happy!!! This lasted about 8 days but gradually over the last few days she has become "scared of her shadow". It`s hard to describe but everything scares her. It`s like she is imagining she can see things which are not there. She suddenly jumps and runs away whilst in the middle of eating her meal or when circling in the garden just before she defecates. She is nervous of going into the kitchen and isn`t happy going into her bed in my bedroom or the one in the kitchen. She woke up at 0400 this morning and ran across the bedroom and looked scared. She has been out for 2 x 20 mins walks today but she walked behind me most of the time, not really enjoying herself.
    She has refused to play at all today. I am so worried about her. She just looks unhappy and scared.
    I am sorry to write so much but I just wondered if anyone had any advice? I was going to wait 24 hours and see whether things improve then maybe return to my vet.
    Christine
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry you and Spangle are going through this. Spangle really does sound like she is reacting to pain. Sometimes this can startle them as they have no idea what hurt them. I would try to go to the vet tonight.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear this. I'd talk to your vet but would think you really need to go back to your diagnosing neurologist. It may be the point at which you consider whether surgery is an option, or try upping her gabapentin dose etc which needs to be done with a neurologist's guidance. It sounds like she is experiencing sudden pain and discomfort that surprises her. Pain is common on defecation -- anything that causes straining, according to human sufferers from CM/SM.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Spangles. I would def go see your neuro---she could be in pain, but the new meds may be creating new side effects as well. Good luck.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Christine,

I am so sorry to read this.

I do wonder if she is associating sudden sharp pain with the location in which it occurs.

Monty was like that when he had the bouts that caused him to scream and writhe with neuropathic pain.

He retreated from each room until he was in our bathroom, and had nowhere else to go. He would not come out and had to be carried to the garden ( where he had experienced an attack )

I'm sorry to say this but I do think you need to go back and get her pain medication increased.

I really feel for what you are going through, I have tears in my eyes remembering how it was with Monty.

My very best wishes,
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help and advice Pauline, Karlin, Trisha and Margaret.
    I took Spangle to my vet this morning who did various blood tests, and an ultrasound of her bladder. She has a raised temperature, and a high white blood cell count. He has given me oral antibiotics and oral painkillers (she is refusing all food and all tablets) and a liquid rehydration. I have to take her back on Fri. He says she has an infection somewhere and will do more tests on the bloods he took this afternoon. He does not think it is the SM causing her pain. Lets hope he is right. Poor girl looks so sad. I`ll be sitting with her for the rest of today because when I leave her she just sits and stares into the distance, but if I`m with her she will fall asleep.
    Christine
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear Spangle is not feeling well. Poor baby

Fingers crossed she will start to improve now the vet has given her some medicine and hopefully he can get to the bottom of what is making her feel so poorly.
    Kimberly

Little girl Bailey 5 years old
    Little boy Dylan 4 years old

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww bless her, poor thing. It's so horrible when they can't tell you how they feel. I wasn't expecting that result at the vets so I'm glad they didn't just assume it was the SM. I hope she is feeling better soon and you can relax a bit now knowing at least this will pass.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Aw bless her little heart. How hard it must be to watch your sweetie go through this.

What about the medication? Could it be that it is clouding her mind? I know it's necessary, but maybe a time of adjustment is needed for her system to get used to the narcotics. ?? I'm just thinking that for us, when we're on narcotics, our minds get cloudy. Maybe it's that, maybe time will help her adjust to it too.

I'm so sorry, I do hope this morning finds her feeling better.

~Dawn

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to you and Spangles. Just hope the vet is right and it isnt the SM.
    Sending lots of
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "